Author Topic: Drone.....  (Read 3159 times)

Online joet

• GTI forum regular
Re: Drone.....
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2022, 13:16 »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2022, 14:04 »
hankook ventus s1 evo 3.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2022, 14:47 »
hankook ventus s1 evo 3.

How do you find them, in terms of grip and handling feel?

I was rather disappointed when I’d seen the 45’s started arriving with them on rather than the Goodyear super sports.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2022, 15:00 »
AR899, I think it depends a lot on what you intend on doing with the car. I did a lot of company mileage with the (mk7.5) GTD and whilst I agree regarding the road noise from the Bridgestones, the majority of the time I was on a motorway and on my own, so the music went on and with the Dynaudio system everything was fine. Yet when I found myself off the motorway in the Lake District or north wales, a lot of fun was there to be had, it was a perfect car for what I was doing at the time (mostly long boring motorway trips and fun “enough” when I wanted it to be).

If I was still doing high mileage, I would have probably gone down the GTD route again, but now my needs are mainly the 14 mile daily commute in between the weekend fun, so a clubsport suits better… by my “man maths” :whistle:
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2022, 15:17 »
hankook ventus s1 evo 3.

How do you find them, in terms of grip and handling feel?

I was rather disappointed when I’d seen the 45’s started arriving with them on rather than the Goodyear super sports.

No complaints at all tbh other than the road noise, but I'm not sure if they're any worse than other tyres in that regard. The Hankooks actually rate pretty highly in group tests afaik.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2022, 06:08 »
My last motorway trip was back in December and was around 350 miles (plus bits of A road and urban driving taking it to over 400 miles) and I didn’t remember the car droning.

I very very seldom do motorway trips so in the interest of science for this thread I took the car up to motorway speeds at around 5am this morning for a brief stretch.
No exhaust drone at all in my Clubsport but plenty of tyre roar (Michelin PS4S 235/35/19) though nothing excessive for the class of car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2022, 07:32 »
Maybe 'drone' was the wrong word to use. On my test drive I found the constant noise (from the rear of the car) quite annoying and am pretty sure it was the exhaust. I'm not used to 'performance exhausts' in any way so it may be something that you guys are used to and don't notice or that you notice tyre noise more?

I'm not complaining that a performance car sounds like one - I just thought that, in say Comfort or ECO mode, it would have been a bit quieter.

About half my annual mileage is on A roads/motorways but there are a few weeks in between these trips. If I was on the m/way every week then I'd definitely consider a GTD but I think my driving pattern probably doesn't suit a DPF.

And want to add many thanks for all the helpful advice on this - even taking test drives to provide feedback. I've not got much experience of other forums but doubt there is one as helpful and informative as this one.  :smiley:

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2022, 09:25 »
AR899, I think it depends a lot on what you intend on doing with the car. I did a lot of company mileage with the (mk7.5) GTD and whilst I agree regarding the road noise from the Bridgestones, the majority of the time I was on a motorway and on my own, so the music went on and with the Dynaudio system everything was fine. Yet when I found myself off the motorway in the Lake District or north wales, a lot of fun was there to be had, it was a perfect car for what I was doing at the time (mostly long boring motorway trips and fun “enough” when I wanted it to be).

If I was still doing high mileage, I would have probably gone down the GTD route again, but now my needs are mainly the 14 mile daily commute in between the weekend fun, so a clubsport suits better… by my “man maths” :whistle:

I like the man maths analogy, weirdly though I have a CS and the boring motorway stuff returns 40+mpg but the commute to the office (8miles by back roads) is only 29 mpg average but by god its fun!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver