Author Topic: MK 7 Clubsport or 7.5 PP??  (Read 16822 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: MK 7 Clubsport or 7.5 PP??
« Reply #80 on: 05 July 2021, 08:12 »
With a TCR I think you'd need to try and get it in the Pure Grey special paint for it to stand out from the crowd, given how similar it still is to the normal GTI PP, perhaps that's a good thing though. An epic looking car all the same with options to make it stand out out blend in with the sticker pack.

If you won't compromise on specification or doors for that matter the TCR is the best choice. A lot of them are kitted out, especially the later ones that had Akrapovic exhausts and rear cameras as standard, as well as there's a good few in 3 door in a selection of colours. (That Parkway Leciester one seems to be the best in spec and value at the minute, but has been up for sale since what seems like March so might get a little off. I wouldn't be put off if it was an ex-VW press car at least it'll have been properly bedded in.)

The Edition 40 is a bit of a hard sell, given how their prices are currently so similar to that of the TCR's or 7.5 GTI PP's which have less miles. They're a fantastic looking car in white or red, but the aesthetic is lost when in dark grey or black as they hide the nice gloss black bits. As well as it's hard to find a 3 door one with any kind of specification, as well as the Alcantara steering wheel will most likely need reupholstered as this point on any with a bit more miles.

Currently 3 door Ed40's range from £23,000 with 36,000 miles to £30,000 with 13,000 miles, with some spec on each. Whilst the 7.5 GTI PP's are around the £20,000-£26,000 range but little to no specification at this point, private sales would be a good shout here if you can get one young enough where it still has main warranty but they did have more standard versus the Ed40 (Heated seats on all, rear camera on 2019 models).

Personally I would only buy from Main Dealer in the current sales climate, as their prices stayed reasonable with the chip shortage whilst other places inflated prices, as well as you get 2 years warranty.

Good luck with the hunt.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #81 on: 05 July 2021, 08:47 »
Just be aware the later cars, especially with the Akrapovic exhaust and a few choice options, can push the retail price over £40k and therefore the road tax is loaded up in the first few years.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #82 on: 05 July 2021, 09:14 »
Just be aware the later cars, especially with the Akrapovic exhaust and a few choice options, can push the retail price over £40k and therefore the road tax is loaded up in the first few years.

They will all be 5 door cars though, they dropped the 3 door before that.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #83 on: 05 July 2021, 11:35 »

Ahh, yes, good point.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 05 July 2021, 13:04 »

Ahh, yes, good point.

I really don't know why they dropped the 3 door. Yes it saves their design budget and sales were declining, but now VAG group other than the Audi TT and A5 have no 2/3 door car in the range.

Quite frankly it's made VW a range of SUV's just in varying heights, especially now there's the T-Roc and Tiguan R's.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #85 on: 05 July 2021, 13:57 »

I really don't know why they dropped the 3 door. Yes it saves their design budget and sales were declining, but now VAG group other than the Audi TT and A5 have no 2/3 door car in the range.

Quite frankly it's made VW a range of SUV's just in varying heights, especially now there's the T-Roc and Tiguan R's.

As you’ve said, declining sales is probably a major factor, as is cost and profit.

For a large manufacturing business like VW, it’s all about cutting costs and maximising profit. No doubt VW will have volume and profit targets for each variant (3 door, 5 door, estate etc.) of vehicle they produce, and if the three door variant isn’t meeting or exceeding those targets, then there’s a good chance the bean counters in VW’s ivory tower will recommend its production is canned. Plus, reducing the number of variants of a particular model of car is likely to result in efficiencies in the factory and the supply chain - no need to produce 3 door-specific body panel pressings, component and parts suppliers don’t have to produce trim panels, windows etc. for three door models.

With the increasing popularity of SUV’s, it wouldn’t surprise me if estate cars are the next casualty for some of the VAG brands in the continuing pursuit to cut costs, rationalise product lines and maximise profits.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #86 on: 05 July 2021, 14:34 »

As you’ve said, declining sales is probably a major factor, as is cost and profit.

For a large manufacturing business like VW, it’s all about cutting costs and maximising profit. No doubt VW will have volume and profit targets for each variant (3 door, 5 door, estate etc.) of vehicle they produce, and if the three door variant isn’t meeting or exceeding those targets, then there’s a good chance the bean counters in VW’s ivory tower will recommend its production is canned. Plus, reducing the number of variants of a particular model of car is likely to result in efficiencies in the factory and the supply chain - no need to produce 3 door-specific body panel pressings, component and parts suppliers don’t have to produce trim panels, windows etc. for three door models.

With the increasing popularity of SUV’s, it wouldn’t surprise me if estate cars are the next casualty for some of the VAG brands in the continuing pursuit to cut costs, rationalise product lines and maximise profits.

Just seems strange as a golf has generally be marketed towards younger people as well as has typically been the poster car for the range. I'd firmly say that the lack of 3 door would push be away from VW and into a BMW, might not have a 3 door there either but a 6 cylinder in a 2 door or estate/touring would wipe away those tears. 

But that's just me that believes a Polo should always be a 3 door and a Golf to have an option of either 3 or 5.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #87 on: 05 July 2021, 17:41 »
Just seems strange as a golf has generally be marketed towards younger people as well as has typically been the poster car for the range. I'd firmly say that the lack of 3 door would push be away from VW and into a BMW, might not have a 3 door there either but a 6 cylinder in a 2 door or estate/touring would wipe away those tears. 

But that's just me that believes a Polo should always be a 3 door and a Golf to have an option of either 3 or 5.

My preference is to a 3 door Golf and that was what I was after with the TCR but there were just so few to choose from I had to go with the 5 door. Having said that, one thing I really don't miss with a 3 door is not being able to get out of it in tight spaces :rolleyes: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #88 on: 06 July 2021, 06:30 »
WLTP was the final nail in the 3 door coffin.  The cost of having to effectively certify the Golf hatchback range twice, with all the various permutations of options, would have been massively prohibitive for a model with continuously reducing sales.  Writing was on the wall as far back as the 2016 PP which couldn't be ordered as a 3 door with a pan roof and 19" wheels because VW didn't put that option combination through what was then NEDC testing.

I also find it sad that there will not be another 3 door GTI.  It was the original design and for me always true to the ethos of the car but at least it went out on a high note with the TCR.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2021, 06:32 by Philip »
TCR 3 door

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #89 on: 09 July 2021, 22:16 »
Lots of good advice from clubsport there though, particularly the vw press link.
It’s a shame if you can’t access the Facebook group but Lew on this forum runs the list of individual cars by plaque number. Hopefully he will be along.

here i am, bit late, lol yeah i've started to do a list of all the Edition 40's in the uk which are numbered - currently found 183. but if you ever decide to join the ol fb or insta, groups as follows:

• Clubsport Edition 40 UK Owners Club
  • VW GOLF GTI EDITION 40 OWNERS

• Insta: @edition40ownersclub
    « Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 22:23 by r600_clubsport »
    Lewman
    GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
    Instagram: @ed40lew