Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 121539 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #700 on: 01 June 2023, 10:21 »
Oh deer :(
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #701 on: 01 June 2023, 10:29 »
Slightly off-topic as I have a recently acquired S3. 1 month old, first long trip and a deer decided to try and thumb a lift, near Wakefield, on the M1 on Saturday morning.

That sucks! :sad: Hopefully parts availability won’t be a problem in getting it repaired - I know someone with a Volvo who recently had a 2-3 month wait for a new front bumper. Did the deer survive? (a ready supply of venison steaks in the freezer would be a nice! :whistle:).

My brother had a similar incident with a deer a few years ago when he was driving to work; damaged the front bumper and front nearside wing. As he’s a named driver on my insurance, I also had to inform my insurance company and was expecting my premium to increase as a result - fortunately it didn’t seem to.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #702 on: 01 June 2023, 11:24 »
Oh deer :(

Doe stop it! I wasn't even hoofing it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #703 on: 01 June 2023, 11:37 »
Slightly off-topic as I have a recently acquired S3. 1 month old, first long trip and a deer decided to try and thumb a lift, near Wakefield, on the M1 on Saturday morning.

That sucks! :sad: Hopefully parts availability won’t be a problem in getting it repaired - I know someone with a Volvo who recently had a 2-3 month wait for a new front bumper. Did the deer survive? (a ready supply of venison steaks in the freezer would be a nice! :whistle:).

My brother had a similar incident with a deer a few years ago when he was driving to work; damaged the front bumper and front nearside wing. As he’s a named driver on my insurance, I also had to inform my insurance company and was expecting my premium to increase as a result - fortunately it didn’t seem to.

I've got 12 years protected NCD (it would be 24 if they counted that high between insurers) - my first ever "at fault" claim. The bodyshop says parts availability is good.

At the moment, known needs are:
New NS Headlight
New bumper
New parking sensors
New ACC/Pre-sense sensor (presumably calibration with wheel alignment first is required)
New grille/badge
New radiator (functional but lots of fins dented)
New headlight washer jets system (why do they bother fitting, they're useless?)
New Washer fluid tank.
New NS front wheel arch lining
New interlocking undertrays under front bumper
New bonnet catch trim that sits on top of the grille

The NS wing is splayed out about 4mm, guy reckons that'll go back where it should be. Bonnet has a few tiny shrapnel scuffs - so respray.

Plus, any unknown stuff.

My rear cam shows the deer lying in a heap on the hard shoulder. No blood on the car, a little bit of sh1te, and a few fur tufts. I didn't know what had hit me until I stopped at the next services 1/2 a mile away and consulted the dashcam footage. The timestamps on the stills show that from poking it's head out from the hedgerows to hitting the car were within a second.

Did your brothers insurance go up? Bet it did, even with protected NCD. I did get told the excess is lower than I was expecting (supposed to be £250 voluntary, £400 compulsory, but will be paying £250 +£250), so there's perhaps some recognition that it's a fault claim, but not really my fault.

Can't fault Admiral previously - storm Arwen goosed my boiler when guttering dislodged and sent rainwater into my flue. I bought a new £2150 boiler after home emergency shook their head and said not repairable, no claim, and they later refunded me for it through the buildings insurance after they asked for my feedback on the emergency cover and said it was crap.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2023, 11:57 by monkeyhanger »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #704 on: 01 June 2023, 11:48 »
The engine feels nicely run in now though. That happened with about 500 miles on the clock. A trip down to Southampton (it happened on the way down) and popping up to Legoland then back home now has me at about 1300 miles - it's a lot more responsive, the exhaust is a bit louder and it's a bit better on the juice. Plus, my kids heard me swear for the first time at point of impact "what the F*** was that?".

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #705 on: 01 June 2023, 12:08 »

I've got 12 years protected NCD (it would be 24 if they counted that high between insurers) - my first ever "at fault" claim. The bodyshop says parts availability is good.

At the moment, known needs are:
New NS Headlight
New bumper
New parking sensors
New ACC/Pre-sense sensor (presumably calibration with wheel alignment first is required)
New grille/badge
New radiator (functional but lots of fins dented)
New headlight washer jets system (why do they bother fitting, they're useless?)
New Washer fluid tank.
New NS front wheel arch lining
New interlocking undertrays under front bumper
New bonnet catch trim that sits on top of the grille

The NS wing is splayed out about 4mm, guy reckons that'll go back where it should be. Bonnet has a few tiny shrapnel scuffs - so respray.

Plus, any unknown stuff.

My rear cam shows the deer lying in a heap on the central reservation. No blood on the car, a little bit of sh1te, and a few fur tufts. I didn't know what had hit me until I stopped at the next services 1/2 a mile away and consulted the dashcam footage. The timestamps on the stills show that from poking it's head out from the hedgerows to hitting the car were within a second.

Did your brothers insurance go up? Bet it did, even with protected NCD. I did get told the excess is lower than I was expecting (supposed to be £250 voluntary, £400 compulsory, but will be paying £250 +£250), so there's perhaps some recognition that it's a fault claim, but not really my fault.

Can't fault Admiral previously - storm Arwen goosed my boiler when guttering dislodged and sent rainwater into my flue. I bought a new £2150 boiler after home emergency shook their head and said not repairable, no claim, and they later refunded me for it through the buildings insurance after they asked for my feedback on the emergency cover and said it was crap.

That’s a lot of parts :shocked:.

I can’t remember if my brother’s premium increased (he also had / has protected NCD); it was 4-5 years ago that he had the deer incident. I’m sure it did, as insurance companies seem to use every available opportunity to put the premium up! :angry:.

Contrary to some people think, protected NCD doesn’t protect a person’s premium from increases if they have a claim; it just protects the number of years NCD they’ve earned. Even if a person’s NCD entitlement doesn’t change, I’m sure there’ll be a ‘fault claim’ risk factor in every insurance company’s premium algorithm that loads the premium if there’s been a fault claim in the expiring period of insurance….. :angry:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #706 on: 01 June 2023, 12:18 »
I'm expecting the insurance to increase a little, with a "fault claim" logged, despite retaining full NCD. If its 10% I'll not be bothered, the S3 recently renewed and its part of the 2 cars plus house Admiral multi policy was £301 -the Cupra Born went up from £246 to £378, EVs are getting hammered right now on insurance - high likelihood of being written off in even a minor crash.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #707 on: 01 June 2023, 13:25 »
Eek! Poor Bambi  :cry:

NCD protection is a bit of an oddity. You pay more for it, you nominally keep your ‘years’ but on each renewal you’ll also be asked whether you’ve had ANY claims so you can bet your bottom dollar what that will mean for your next premium no matter how many nominal ‘years’ NCD you have.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #708 on: 01 June 2023, 14:14 »
Had a no fault claim a couple of years ago and like others have said I retained the ncd but premium went up.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #709 on: 16 July 2023, 22:06 »
I cleaned my car thoroughly today and put the original wheel centre caps back on as I am toying with the idea of changing. It has only 8,200 miles, so sense may yet prevail but I want a valuation which requires  proof of service history. Is there any electronic way to get it, like We Connect, which I know little about, or is it a call to the dealer?

Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.