Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 31900 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #210 on: 06 January 2021, 18:17 »
I saw it posted on a BMW forum

I dont believe that, most cars now are made to run on 95 ron

MK7 GTi

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #211 on: 06 January 2021, 18:40 »
Yeah seems like BS to me, my fuel cap says 95 (min 91). 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #212 on: 06 January 2021, 20:18 »
What does the instruction book say?

Not doubting you, you have one of them!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #213 on: 06 January 2021, 20:57 »
Book say 95.  98 for 'M' performance models. 

The previous page is discussing that Petro should be DIN EN 228.

2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #214 on: 06 January 2021, 21:22 »
Perfect, case closed!

What do you think of the 128ti? How long have you had it?

I'm not going to get to drive one now until... Well who knows, not any time this side of easter 😔

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #215 on: 06 January 2021, 22:10 »
Thats a shame. I've had mine since early December but only put around 300 miles on it. 

Its brilliant.  I've not had a car with a limited slip diff before but the way it corners is surreal.  Suspension is firm but smooths out bumps so well - not crashy or jarring as you might expect a firmer ride to do.  Plenty quick as you'd imagine for 260bhp - loads of low down torque.  It feels like its egging you on to go faster / harder all the time - like a coiled spring. 

Coming from VAG gearbox's - or rather VAG software controlling the gearbox - it is very responsive and I would say the changes are very well judged in all the different driving profiles.  Not too early in comfort, about bang on with the car in 'sport' but gearbox in 'D'.  Gearbox in 'S' naturally revs all the way to the top.  Its not perfect but very good. 

Brakes are very sharp on first bite but then not as servo'd as typical in VAG cars.  Not sure if thats good or bad tbh.  Just different.

Fit and finish is excellent, very 'premium'. 

Negatives - access to the rear seats isn't as good as a Golf.  All the seats are closer to the floor than in a golf and this combined with a sloping profile to the roof makes it a bit more difficult to get in.  Doesn't bother me but it could some. 

Virtual cockpit isn't as good as VAG implementations but you get used to it pretty quick.  Main infotainment screen is very good though.  I don't have the HUD but those that do swear by it. 

The recommended tyre inflation pressure is very high - 2.7 Bar at the front - seems to be a common BMW thing.  I still need to reduce that a bit further. 

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  I can't imagine you would be disappointed by either the GTI or a 128 to be honest. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #216 on: 06 January 2021, 22:25 »
That's all good useful info.

Do you feel like you are sitting low as the driver? I don't like that much, which seems to be the reverse of most!

I'm intrigued to see how smooth the gearbox is. Although I did drive the m135i a year ago, I'd not paid much attention really to whether its non jerky at low speed and throttle inputs. I noticed it was pretty harsh in sport mode.

So those are the main things I want to find out.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 06 January 2021, 22:34 »
You are certainly sitting 'lower' than in a golf but once installed in the car it doesn't really feel like it relative to the steering wheel / view etc.  Where you notice it more is simply the gap between the seat and floor is smaller.  Less angle between your knees and the pedals.  Hard to explain properly really....

The gearbox is silky smooth in the comfort and even the car in sports mode.  If you push down hard on the accelerator (and I don't mean kickdown) it raised the rev level it changes at and you can feel those changes - personally I like that.  But if you're just driving normally the changes are imperceptible.   
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #218 on: 06 January 2021, 23:03 »
Did you have a Dsg golf before?

What options do you have on the BMW?

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #219 on: 07 January 2021, 07:27 »
Having specc'd up a 128ti, it looks very tempting. Problem for me will be getting a test drive (and another, longer one in a GTI).

ub7rm - thanks for the update. How does the ride in the 128 compare with your GTD? What sort of mpg are you getting so far? How noisy is it compared to what you have driven before? ta