Author Topic: Clutch bite point - Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual  (Read 3283 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Clutch bite point - Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual
« on: 28 February 2018, 09:25 »
Has anyone else noticed a very high clutch bite point on their new Mk 7.5 GTI (petrol) manual?

I have come from a Mk 7 GTD (diesel) manual, and a Mk 6 GTD manual before that, both of which had clutches which felt very different - could this just be due to the dual-mass flywheel in the diesels?

Would be very interesting to hear from anyone else who has switched from GTD to GTI as to whether they have experienced similar (or not).

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch bite point - Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2018, 20:47 »
The petrol will be dual mass as well.

I have not noticed a high bite point on my 7.5 GTI. If its concerning you, go test drive another one at a dealer and see how it compares.

In terms of how the pedals feel though, I hate how the brake pedal has a bit of play at the top. On every other car I have driven the first 1mm of brake pedal is actual brake pressure. On this there is like 4mm of play before you are actually braking. Do you notice this?

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2018, 08:08 »
Would be very interesting to hear from anyone else who has switched from GTD to GTI as to whether they have experienced similar (or not).

I noticed the exact same thing and had to learn that the bite was higher up, sometimes felt like I was slipping it that bit longer than I thought as I was used to a lower bite point. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2018, 08:59 »
Every type of car is different, you just get used to it after a while.

I've driven dozens of different cars over the years, all take a bit of getting used to.

My wife's and my eldest daughter's car are completely different in pedal, steering and braking feeling.

I took my daughters car to the tyre shop the other week and wondered how she drives it with brakes as vague as they are...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2018, 10:56 »
Yes from a gtd to a gti another car inbetween, the answer for me was a pedal box it just made the relationship between the clutch and gas more predictable.
gti pp manual white 5 door