Author Topic: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?  (Read 16114 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?
« Reply #70 on: 15 December 2017, 12:56 »
Is there any way to block seeing certain members posts on this forum? I can think of a few I'd like to not see.
I agree.

You prefer to post derogatory comments when people disagree with you, rather than contribute to the discussion.

I am astounded at the amount of snow driving God's there are on this forum. :laugh:

I bow to your superior knowlage :whistle:

But you're never wrong, how could anyone ever doubt you :rolleyes:

Wow, now that's a statement considering your post on the bottom of page 6 that has been moderated because you were insulting another member on here. No wait I suppose you thi k that was okay though as surely you could never be wrong.   :laugh: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 13:00 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #71 on: 15 December 2017, 12:58 »

At the risk of coming under enemy fire :rolleyes:, I see what CHB100 is getting at (I think) and agree that for many in the UK, winter tyres aren't a necessity. I have never owned winter tyres and have been driving for over 30 years. So presumably I should've crashed and died at least 20 times by now but amazingly, no. I don't think anyone is doubting the science or engineering that proves winter tyres are better in extreme conditions, it's just that normal tyres can cope for most most of the time and the extra expense is not worth it.

Agree, but that's the nub of the problem...I see loads of people from down south & central belt driving up here on hols, ski-ing etc & basically having huge problems even on relatively clear roads....& they think because they have fancy electronic systems & AWD or 4WD that they are ok.....

Until they get passed by us on winters & or they end up in a ditch, or crashing into other people...that's what I hate is having to spend loads of time & skill driving around these people who are WAY out of their depth & they would have been far better of spending money on some winters or x-climates...which would mean they could cope better as they now have grip & it helps out us other drivers as we know they have some stopping & steering ability & won't slid into us at the slightest provocation...

But the point is the vast majority don't do the above hence for most people most of the time winters are a luxury that you would find useful but not essential.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #72 on: 15 December 2017, 13:32 »
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 13:37 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 15 December 2017, 13:51 »
it's just that normal tyres can cope for most most of the time and the extra expense is not worth it.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, additional winter tyres can ultimately cost nothing over just having one set of normal tyres, but as is usually the case, no one takes any notice of my contributions here. Perhaps it's because my GTI is nearly 28 years old and my Mk7 is a lowly Match.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 15 December 2017, 13:57 »
I'd just like to add to this debate by letting you all know that I am indeed a driving god in all conditions

That is all  :grin: :grin:

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 15 December 2017, 14:19 »
I am Brian and so is my wife !!  :grin:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 15 December 2017, 14:50 »
it's just that normal tyres can cope for most most of the time and the extra expense is not worth it.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, additional winter tyres can ultimately cost nothing over just having one set of normal tyres, but as is usually the case, no one takes any notice of my contributions here. Perhaps it's because my GTI is nearly 28 years old and my Mk7 is a lowly Match.

Certainly not ignored but neither would be the £1k or so initial outlay. You're right but I don't have that amount of cash spare for things I don't need. I do need that amount currently for central heating repairs (definitely necessary), more than that to replace my ageing and failing double glazing etc etc etc....

I also don't recall anyone knocking your Match, infact I think it attracted some interest with the mods you were doing but you don't seem to post much about it. Others post about their non GTI models too and don't appear to get any negative comments because they aren't GTIs so not sure what that comment refers to. I for one am interested and I'm 100% sure plenty of others are too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #77 on: 15 December 2017, 14:50 »
Is there any way to block seeing certain members posts on this forum? I can think of a few I'd like to not see.

Seriously now??

I don't know who Daz Auto is, but him and I were (wasting our time by) repeatedly providing technical explanations with arguments which are of-course common knowledge, before you decided to bring the discussion down to the worst internet levels by just ignoring everything and writing something as deep as: "But you're never wrong, how could anyone ever doubt you :rolleyes:"

Right after that I wrote a full 2 paragraphs explaining why setting off is a bit of a different situation technically and that it does not mean anything about increased AWD driveability on snow with summers, that you naturally also chose to completely ignore (I guess you have a hard time with facts after all) and instead replied: I bow to your superior knowlage :whistle: WTF?

And another one on golfdave's subsequent reply: "I am astounded at the amount of snow driving God's there are on this forum. :laugh:"

I mean seriously is this the level of this forum? This is not Golfmk7 or Vortex where trolls feed off, if you don't have an account there I suggest making one, you'll enjoy it a lot. But the best part after all that repeated provocation to turn this topic into a mess was turning all aggressive-passive and asking to not see certain posts  :shocked: That really was some nerve...
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 14:55 by scanesare »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #78 on: 15 December 2017, 14:52 »
"Daz.... I bow to VW's superior knowledge"

I wrote that! Tongue in cheek but saying that VW probably DO have some knowledge about cars, their cars in particular!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #79 on: 15 December 2017, 14:57 »
"Daz.... I bow to VW's superior knowledge"

I wrote that! Tongue in cheek but saying that VW probably DO have some knowledge about cars, their cars in particular!

Yes, counted one irony too many, still plenty enough to prove a determination to move away from a logical and technical discussion and derail the thread to almost what it ended up being... Typical when faced with hard facts and no reasonable replies to simple questions are available but very disappointing to happen here, at least for me, I think of golfgtiforum as a place that promotes meaningful discussions over pointless personal fights. Maybe not.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 15:01 by scanesare »