Author Topic: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP  (Read 11488 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2017, 19:22 »
Hi guys ,

Really interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions ...end of the day its a MASSIVE choice and all people on here can do and some less aggressively than other is offer THEIR ...opinion . I am buy no means a expert and am picking up my first GTI on Friday ..yes the new 7.5 "facelift" 6DSG stock standard and im extremely excited , my research and Im sure Ill get destroyed if im wrong on this is that the Stock 7.5 has the SAME performance from a Engine perspective to the 7 PP ..so all your getting by saving 2K or so is in fact a 2ND Hand car with bigger brakes that you wont really need unless on a track day or borderline criminal on the road driving ...the handling yes PP with the diff is a bonus and nice to have but does that warrant a car thats going to look "outdated" when parked at the car park or at the lights for a little fun ...? Again personally I prefer knowing im in the newer car with all the new gimmicks and as someone said even those will be outdated in 2 years but until then Im in the latest model ....the real question you should be asking is not should you save 2k and go 2nd hand but should you spend 3/4 K more and get the R ...if performance is so important to you get the REAL DEAL and get the R....anyway hope know one takes any comments here personally just my opinion....
So you think a 7 is outdated compared to a 7.5 ? Have a word with yourself! All you get on the 7.5 is a different media screen, the stupid Audi lights on the back, some extra bits of bumper fins on the front, a marmite virtual dash and a worse set of standard alloys. It might have the same power output but a 7pp will stop you a bit quicker than a bog standard 7.5 GTi and you will feel a difference pressing on with diff no matter what anyone says.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2017, 19:35 »
Thanks Clarky !
Took a shot in the dark and went for White Silver unseen....every youtube video ...online photo looks different and it edges on amaizing to baby blue  :sick: at times ....but i have to admit i dont care just looking forward to experiencing the GTI feeling after wanting one for the past 15 years ! DSG was a no brainer ...im 36 to grumpy and old to be shifting gears  :grin:
driving in and around london doesnt exactly shout manual either ...and as you say and based on research the DSG sound fabulous !

Im jealous that colour is awesome! Makes the red stripe around the front really stand out.

Totally agree on dsg, i do 90% city driving and on the daily commute at 5:30am its great to chill and let the car do all the work combined with adaptive cruise.

Enjoy it!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 22 November 2017, 19:36 »
Hi guys ,

Really interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions ...end of the day its a MASSIVE choice and all people on here can do and some less aggressively than other is offer THEIR ...opinion . I am buy no means a expert and am picking up my first GTI on Friday ..yes the new 7.5 "facelift" 6DSG stock standard and im extremely excited , my research and Im sure Ill get destroyed if im wrong on this is that the Stock 7.5 has the SAME performance from a Engine perspective to the 7 PP ..so all your getting by saving 2K or so is in fact a 2ND Hand car with bigger brakes that you wont really need unless on a track day or borderline criminal on the road driving ...the handling yes PP with the diff is a bonus and nice to have but does that warrant a car thats going to look "outdated" when parked at the car park or at the lights for a little fun ...? Again personally I prefer knowing im in the newer car with all the new gimmicks and as someone said even those will be outdated in 2 years but until then Im in the latest model ....the real question you should be asking is not should you save 2k and go 2nd hand but should you spend 3/4 K more and get the R ...if performance is so important to you get the REAL DEAL and get the R....anyway hope know one takes any comments here personally just my opinion....
So you think a 7 is outdated compared to a 7.5 ? Have a word with yourself! All you get on the 7.5 is a different media screen, the stupid Audi lights on the back, some extra bits of bumper fins on the front, a marmite virtual dash and a worse set of standard alloys. It might have the same power output but a 7pp will stop you a bit quicker than a bog standard 7.5 GTi and you will feel a difference pressing on with diff no matter what anyone says.

Nibble of the century :grin:

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #43 on: 22 November 2017, 19:37 »
Mcdaddy ...based on you apparent extensive and somewhat opinionated point of few ..the simple fact you begin your response to my thoughts and opinions by pointing out numerous ascetical differences between the 7 and the 7.5 I should end my reply now....but because your such a forceful and opinionated contributor Ill answer it for you ...I dont think it is ...IT IS FACT ..be it via gimmicks or what you deem as "stupid" differences the simple fact is the 7.5 is now the newer GTI model ...if you prefer the 7 it's you choice and I respect that  ..I wont argue personal preference as you so strongly do ...im simply stating a fact ...the 7 is now outdated ...dash is not the"old" dash (NOT BAD as you would say..)..lights on the 7 now the "old" lights ...and ps i dont see forums of 7.5 owners asking how to fit 7 headlights and taillights on there BRAND NEW car but rather 7 owners keen to replace theirs...not everyone none more so than you im sure .....so chill and respect others opinions ...the 7 is still amazing and now its not OLD ...but as of a few months back it is the OLD GTI .
Like it or not we all fall prey to it at some point in our car owning journey... facelifts happen ....
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 22 November 2017, 19:38 »
Hi guys ,

Its a facelift, so yes the mk7 is now outdated.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 22 November 2017, 19:42 »
I would also like to say that I think the Mk7 is outdated compared to the Mk7.5 with regards to both exterior and interior. However, Mcmaddy this is my opinion and not fact. Just so you are aware :whistle:

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 22 November 2017, 19:49 »
Would McMaddy own. mk7 by any chance???? :cry: :wink:
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #47 on: 22 November 2017, 19:56 »
 All the pointless banter and fact or opinion aside  :grin:

Did any of you gents opt to get the GTI opposed to the R ....?

I considered the R purely based on performance which is mind blowing ...BUT ..

A: It was a bit steep for what I was prepared or able to pay pushing me over my "comfort zone" and the GTI for me is already big performance upgrade vs my 2 year old  Merc 200d AMG diesel tracker  :sick:

B: and this is PERSONNEL opinion I find the R's look although incredibly similar to the GTI and awesome...slightly less "refined" and by that I simply think it feels like they went for the less is more "darker" look on the interior which although looks good feels a bit more geared to a boy racer segment ...performance , noise , handling etc WOW ....but the GTI seems far family friendly on the inside ..? I just think aesthetically they could have done more on the interior to make the interior match whats under the hood ?

7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 22 November 2017, 19:57 »
Yes I own and mk7 but I'm far from crying about not having a 7.5. It just seems a few FL owners think they've got something far more desirable than what it is which is just a FL. It's not a new model and in fact I'm my opinion I think the front end is worse on the FL and so are the alloys. Just my opinion of course and not in any way meant to put the snooty noses out of joint of the 7.5 clan.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 22 November 2017, 20:00 »
All the pointless banter and fact or opinion aside  :grin:

Did any of you gents opt to get the GTI opposed to the R ....?

I considered the R purely based on performance which is mind blowing ...BUT ..

A: It was a bit steep for what I was prepared or able to pay pushing me over my "comfort zone" and the GTI for me is already big performance upgrade vs my 2 year old  Merc 200d AMG diesel tracker  :sick:

B: and this is PERSONNEL opinion I find the R's look although incredibly similar to the GTI and awesome...slightly less "refined" and by that I simply think it feels like they went for the less is more "darker" look on the interior which although looks good feels a bit more geared to a boy racer segment ...performance , noise , handling etc WOW ....but the GTI seems far family friendly on the inside ..? I just think aesthetically they could have done more on the interior to make the interior match whats under the hood ?
I test drove a GTi pp and an R back to back and loved the R but the extra fuel costs and monthly payments meant the GTi was better for me. I don't regret not getting the R either.