Author Topic: Stolen GTD, long shot !  (Read 3350 times)

mattwilko92

Re: Stolen GTD, long shot !
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2017, 17:47 »
Thanks for the replies, through the back patio doors uvpc, managed to fish a box off dining room table through the cat flap which had the back door key in.  Neighbours saw two guy in high vis down alley way at the side of the house earlier in the day so we suspect we've been properly scoped out before they hit us in the early hours. Cars are just pieces of metal at the end of the day, worst part is the feckers were in the house with us and even came upstairs in to spare rooms whilst we were asleep !

You never think it's gonna happen to you ! CCTV etc. Going in asap !
Thats real bad luck to be honest. My worst nightmare is being woken up to someone in my house putting my family at risk.

CCTV is nice to have but wouldnt say its a deterrant as quite often the criminals will be wearing a mask or something.

I would recommend a good alarm and ABS AVOCET cylinder locks. Our keys go in a draw every night to prevent fishing. Im also going to install "sash jammers" which add a bit of extra security.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2017, 21:41 »
One of the best things about living in an apartment is the security. I feel your pain but it could be worse, what if you had the keys in your bedroom?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline madmark63

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2017, 15:51 »
i will keep an eye open as i am on the motorway every night but they would probly change the plates anyway  :sad:

i am shocked they took both cars  :sad:
gti mk7 5 door in black dsg /performance pack,tech pack,parking pack,19" satiago,s with dcc

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2017, 19:33 »
Sorry to hear that news. I work for myself repairing & installing double glazing, & the advice about anti-snap, anti-pick cylinder locks is the best & most cost effective way of stopping entry by cylinder snapping! The cylinders are about £20-£25 & are easily fitted. Please don't get a locksmith in, they will charge a fortune!
« Last Edit: 23 January 2017, 20:40 by Margy »
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2017, 20:36 »
You might also want to check out ring.com

They sell door bells that are wifi enabled that automatically take videos when people approach your front door and also when they ring the bell, you can even answer them remotely.

I am going to purchase an extra camera (Stickup Cam) and point it straight at my new car when I order it.

Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2017, 21:07 »
I fitted Abloy Protec cylinders in my property. Not cheap but much safer than the usual Yale crap locks you find in B&Q et al
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2017, 21:51 »
Sorry to hear that news. I work for myself repairing & installing double glazing, & the advice about anti-snap, anti-pick cylinder locks is the best & most cost effective way of stopping entry by cylinder snapping! The cylinders are about £20-£25 & are easily fitted. Please don't get a locksmith in, they will charge a fortune!

Cylinder snapping? I might seem a bit thick but what is that?

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 22:31 »
As this is a public forum I'm not really sure I want to post details of it here! If you need to know I can PM you. Changing these cylinders is very simple indeed. There is a retaining screw at the side of the door sash, remove it & with the key in the lock, turn it to 1 o'clock & withdraw the cylinder. (You can check the length now by measuring from the centre of the black follower to either end). Common sizes are 35/45, 40/50 etc. High security cylinders generally have the key slot in the horizontal plane as opposed to vertical.
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2017, 11:51 »
Luckily we have the options fitted cctv etc but it didn't stop sum little scumbags trying the doors on both ours and my sons car luckily that's all they did
Phoned the police they asked the usual can you see the faces well no ad they had hoods and gloves well that was the end of that.
Because no face or possibility of prints they weren't interested
« Last Edit: 24 January 2017, 19:07 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2017, 13:54 »
As this is a public forum I'm not really sure I want to post details of it here! If you need to know I can PM you. Changing these cylinders is very simple indeed. There is a retaining screw at the side of the door sash, remove it & with the key in the lock, turn it to 1 o'clock & withdraw the cylinder. (You can check the length now by measuring from the centre of the black follower to either end). Common sizes are 35/45, 40/50 etc. High security cylinders generally have the key slot in the horizontal plane as opposed to vertical.

I understand, I looked it up and apparently it started in Bradford.

To get into our apartment you need a key tag to open the lift and the lift door is our front door if that makes sense. If I was living in a house then I would definitely be getting the most secure locks I could along with cctv.