Author Topic: Going from MK5 to MK7  (Read 5274 times)

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
Re: Going from MK5 to MK7
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2016, 10:00 »
Think it was something like 5 or 6 weeks or so before I got my build week, but that was 2.5 years ago. I think its been a bit quicker recently...

It will be 6 weeks from the time of order to the closing of the current model being built. I'm getting the feeling I should have waited to get a build week before I started buying bits for it.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2016, 07:38 »
I ordered mine in August and got it in October, twelve weeks from memory, the exact dates are on here in a similar post.

You should have specified the bits when you shopped around for your best price, all mine (well those I remembered) came as part of the price package, even rear carpets which I demanded two weeks after collection because the dealer didnt tell me the car came without :whistle:

Didnt manage to screw a safety triangle out of them to fill the void in the boot lid however. :angry:

The VW boot liner I requested is only suitable if you want the floor set at the upper level, its a feeble thing anyway so it now adorns my garage wall (US made WeatherTec being delivered this week).

Should have also added the sill protectors because now they will cost me £55 plus parts to have the dealer retrofit them (and clear the prep work with my detailer well beforehand).

Hope this helps?

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2016, 09:03 »
I ordered mine in August and got it in October, twelve weeks from memory, the exact dates are on here in a similar post.

You should have specified the bits when you shopped around for your best price, all mine (well those I remembered) came as part of the price package, even rear carpets which I demanded two weeks after collection because the dealer didnt tell me the car came without :whistle:

Didnt manage to screw a safety triangle out of them to fill the void in the boot lid however. :angry:

The VW boot liner I requested is only suitable if you want the floor set at the upper level, its a feeble thing anyway so it now adorns my garage wall (US made WeatherTec being delivered this week).

Should have also added the sill protectors because now they will cost me £55 plus parts to have the dealer retrofit them (and clear the prep work with my detailer well beforehand).

Hope this helps?

The bits I ordered were not dealer parts except for the GTi rear valance to go with the Milltek exhaust and all the other parts are aftermarket.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2016, 09:16 »
Ah, I understand.

Are you having a special exhaust instead of the standard VW model and if so wont that invalidate the warrantee?

I fancy fitting a pair of chrome/stainless tail pipes but thats another story!

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2016, 18:54 »
Yes I have bought a Milltek exhaust and not it doesn't affect the warranty at all. For something t invalidate the warranty they(VW) have to prove that it was caused by the modification.

It is like if you put a set of lowered springs and later you had a problem with your engine they would not be able to prove that the problem was caused by the springs.

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2016, 23:05 »
Holy thread hijack, Batman and Robin!
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2016, 07:00 »
What version of golf did you buy MikeJ? Gtd, Gti an R all come with a full set of mats.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2016, 09:31 »
Holy thread hijack, Batman and Robin!

Sorry, my fault, just a bit worried that I'm going to get a facelift car.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2016, 20:15 »
What version of golf did you buy MikeJ? Gtd, Gti an R all come with a full set of mats.

My Golf, well its not quite what you'd expect.
I originally went into the dealers to buy a GTD, and more importantly, paying cash with my own money.
However I drive quite a bit on estate roads and tracks and didn't want low profile tyres or a ground clearance lower than my TDI Mk5.
The salesman eventually guided me off the GTD on to the 150ps Match (only loosing 30ps afterall) when we realised it wasnt possible to upgrade the GTD wheels into tyres with a higher wall and I refused the Tiguan alternative.
So I ended up with a debadged, night blue, black leather, warm bum, super comfy, country trolley!

And only today fitted my specially imported, US made, WeatherTec boot floor cover (lower level).
Im a practical guy so all foot spaces have VW fitted rubber mats, to me fluffy carpets are for bedrooms :whistle:

If it fails to meet my requirements then I suppose it will have to be the Tiguan, but I have loved Golfs for years and years so wont give it up without a very fair trial.

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2017, 15:31 »
I just did a 200 mile trip to pick up my new 5 Door DSG GTI in Carbon Grey.  It was a revelation letting the car drive itself home with ACC!  This car is like something from the future, compared to the MK5 I've just sold.

The refinement is very noticable, as well as the fact the boot has also bloody shrunk!  I'm also glad that they didn't wash it, as I don't trust their grit bucket onsite valeters.  The car is covered in road grime from the long journey home from Bradford to London.  I'll be giving the new girl a thorough was, polish and wax tomorrow. 
Turbocharged and liking it...