Author Topic: £1,000 off any new Mk7 Golf GTE/GTD/GTI/R etc.  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: £1,000 off any new Mk7 Golf GTE/GTD/GTI/R etc.
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2015, 15:48 »
Thanks for reply guys. Auto trader £20440 for private sale or £18950 PX
Drive the deal are quoting £23016 with £1000 loyalty bonus.
If the private sale is realistic then its £2576 to change if the deal was done today. With the new car being slightly higher standard spec that is tempting . What do you guys think ?

Autotrader is very close to CAP price there.
For £2.5k I'd do it personally BUT it depends on actually getting that much for the car - if you got a solid offer on your car to take away now and you'd be happy to wait minus a GTI for a while then I'd say it was a very good deal.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2015, 16:13 »
Thanks for reply guys. Auto trader £20440 for private sale or £18950 PX
Drive the deal are quoting £23016 with £1000 loyalty bonus.
If the private sale is realistic then its £2576 to change if the deal was done today. With the new car being slightly higher standard spec that is tempting . What do you guys think ?

Autotrader is very close to CAP price there.
For £2.5k I'd do it personally BUT it depends on actually getting that much for the car - if you got a solid offer on your car to take away now and you'd be happy to wait minus a GTI for a while then I'd say it was a very good deal.

Yes selling privately is never easy . spending larger amounts usually requires finance and most would prefer go to a dealer. Having said that mine has a 5 year factory warranty so more peace of mind for a private buyer. Its tempting but who knows how damaged VW will be. Will there be further discounts. The downside is you would expect used prices to drop.
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 November 2015, 16:14 »
As a potential buyer of a new or nearly new Gti, I have been following prices daily for some time.
From advertised used/demo prices, the recent fiasco does not appear to have made much difference to advertised prices.
There are still private advertisers looking to sell a 1 year old car with the old spec for the same money as a new one from drive the deal. I assume they just sell it to the trade after a few weeks?

It just seems to me that more cars are advertised. To shift stock and what appears to be a backlog, used prices are going to have to fall if new cars are discounted,  VW still need a huge cashflow to run their business.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2015, 16:20 »
Caprigreen, no disrespect to your car, but the pricing information is easily available.

I can't understand their spread between px and private sale, it is huge!

As a cash buyer I would not expect to pay more than £500 over the px price.

Maybe I am mistaken, but as stated, so many buyers have their own px or require finance that a liquid private buyer should be in a reasonable position and the seller improves on their px.

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 15 November 2015, 16:43 »
Caprigreen, no disrespect to your car, but the pricing information is easily available.

I can't understand their spread between px and private sale, it is huge!

As a cash buyer I would not expect to pay more than £500 over the px price.

Maybe I am mistaken, but as stated, so many buyers have their own px or require finance that a liquid private buyer should be in a reasonable position and the seller improves on their px.

I agree its only worth what someone are willing to pay. I take the prices with a pinch of salt. The only thing to do is advertise the car and test the market. If I don't get the used price I want it \I will probably stick with my current car as originally intended when I purchased last year,

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 15 November 2015, 19:35 »
You want to change a 1 yr old GTI for a new GTI because the spec is slightly better but it's going to cost you 2.5k? Why? Don't see the point to be honest  :huh:

Now if you were changing to an R then fair enough but I just don't see the logic in this

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2015, 20:36 »
You want to change a 1 yr old GTI for a new GTI because the spec is slightly better but it's going to cost you 2.5k? Why? Don't see the point to be honest  :huh:

Now if you were changing to an R then fair enough but I just don't see the logic in this

The only reason I am considering it is that the discounts at the moment are so generous. It may be a window of opportunity to offset depreciation by taking the discount. If the discounts remain when I change my car when I originally intended then there is little point. The GTI qualifies for £1250 PCP discount the R doesn't.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 16 November 2015, 12:00 »
Just following up, having checked with VW to qualify for the £1000. You have to have a current VW that you purchased new and not just a VAG car.

Having had Gti's mark 1-2-3-5 and then jumping into the current Audi, it doesn't qualify. Fair enough!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 16 November 2015, 13:53 »

It just depends on how you juggle the figures.
Assuming the original GTI at list price and with extras would have lost around £8k in that year as far as the books are concerned then changing to a brand new higher spec car for just £2.5k could make huge sense as the original car will still be depreciating and the newer car will be worth at least £2.5k more until it gets to about six or seven years old when the gap will have narrowed up somewhat and then by ten years old it will more or less just go on which one is in better condition how many miles were on it.
It's all playing the market, just like stocks and shares so will never be an exact science.
As far as VW are concerned - they've just hit the car equivalent of the 2008 banking crisis. That so called global recession was just something that was brainwashed into everyone as the bankers played damage limitation for their own bad practices & everyone stopped spending money which in turn did cause a crisis.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 16 November 2015, 17:41 »
Just following up, having checked with VW to qualify for the £1000. You have to have a current VW that you purchased new and not just a VAG car.

Having had Gti's mark 1-2-3-5 and then jumping into the current Audi, it doesn't qualify. Fair enough!

Not sure where they got the info from regarding the previous car having to be bought new.

From http://www.uknewcars.com/  and also posted earlier in the thread by Caprigreen

" *Eligibility

Customers will need to prove their eligibility by providing the V5 document of their current Volkswagen that shows they have owned their Volkswagen for a minimum of 90 days. Their vehicle could have been owned from new, purchased as a used car from the network or bought privately; all Volkswagen passenger cars are eligible. The customer’s current vehicle can be of any age or Volkswagen model and does not need to be part-exchanged to qualify for the loyalty bonus. 

The loyalty offer is also valid for family members of a current Volkswagen owner and any individuals living at the same address as them

Orders must be placed with a Volkswagen dealer between 11th November 2015 and Sunday 31st January 2016, the car must be registered by the 31st March 2016."
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14