Author Topic: Thoughts on the R  (Read 154567 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Thoughts on the R
« Reply #420 on: 14 November 2016, 17:34 »
Really good one year review Rebecca, and given lived with my GTD for three years and was as impressed with it as when received, not too surprising the R is a car that still gives.

One observation on DCC, is that these version 2 dampers are active in all modes, so as much as you do not select 'comfort' you are getting the benefit of the DCC in all modes regardless.

My colleagues vanilla GTI is definitely a little harder in his normal than the normal with DCC.

But will caveat that by stating that ride is acceptable but definitely firmer (have been the passenger many times, he now has R envy though)

One other observation was you never mentioned economy once which imagine just says you have really embraced the "it is what it is" attitudes :)

Individual is now my stock mode setting with engine sound on Eco, the R makes such lovely noises of its own (when drop into S on the DSG) without drowning them, and the soundaktor does grind on you when just moving around in traffic.

Race is always only a second or two away as you state and therein lies the beauty of the car in how you can shape it to your day and mood and not vice versa.

Yes it definitely still gives.  :smiley:

I know the DCC is adaptive in all modes (also had previous gen on my mk6 GTI), and constantly adjusting to driving style/conditions etc, so am aware of its additional benefits over just softening ride etc in comfort, but even taking that into account, it's still think it would be something I could easily live without. I have driven and been a passenger in a friends non DCC mk7 GTD several times, and know that it's an option that I would not massively miss.  If my budget was restricted it would be the thing I would drop over the other things.  I like a firm suspension.  :smiley:

I didn't mention economy more through oversight than anything else, lol, but you are quite correct, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.  My average mpg in previous mk6 GTI wasn't great so no great shock that the R is what it is, which is low - varies between 19/20mpg and 23/24mpg depending on time of year (school term traffic versus schools hols traffic here makes a marked difference).  Whilst many do return reasonable mpg figures, IMO, you don't get an R is you are overly concerned with mpg.  And I'm not.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 14 November 2016, 18:17 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #421 on: 14 November 2016, 17:37 »
Brilliant little update Rebecca!
I'm still not entirely convinced that all the pictures you post are aren't photo shopped. No car can be THAT shiny :laugh: :kiss:

Cheek! I can assure they are not photoshopped. :tongue:  The only editing that takes place is editing out the registration number and the occasional tweak of contrast/light if the conditions have been very sunny, and that's only on the odd few.  I don't believe in posting pics that have been photoshopped to unrealistic proportions, or HDR pics, what's the poin in that? Many of my pics are to demonstrate the finish and quality of detailing products and so they need to be as close to reality as can be. A decent camera and a bit of time to get it right in-camera, makes a lot of difference :smiley:

So, yes, it really is that shiny.....well not today, but most of the time.  :wink:
If you say so :whistle:

I'm sorry you doubt my word kalimon :huh: but I'm not in the habit of telling porkies.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #422 on: 14 November 2016, 17:45 »
Brilliant little update Rebecca!
I'm still not entirely convinced that all the pictures you post are aren't photo shopped. No car can be THAT shiny :laugh: :kiss:

Cheek! I can assure they are not photoshopped. :tongue:  The only editing that takes place is editing out the registration number and the occasional tweak of contrast/light if the conditions have been very sunny, and that's only on the odd few.  I don't believe in posting pics that have been photoshopped to unrealistic proportions, or HDR pics, what's the poin in that? Many of my pics are to demonstrate the finish and quality of detailing products and so they need to be as close to reality as can be. A decent camera and a bit of time to get it right in-camera, makes a lot of difference :smiley:

So, yes, it really is that shiny.....well not today, but most of the time.  :wink:
If you say so :whistle:

I'm sorry you doubt my word kalimon :huh: but I'm not in the habit of telling porkies.
I don't,  I was joking :smiley:
Must have got lost in translation
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #423 on: 14 November 2016, 17:55 »
I don't,  I was joking :smiley:
Must have got lost in translation

It did get lost in translation.  :smiley:

Glad my integrity remains in tact. Phew!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #424 on: 14 November 2016, 18:50 »
Really good one year review Rebecca, and given lived with my GTD for three years and was as impressed with it as when received, not too surprising the R is a car that still gives.

One observation on DCC, is that these version 2 dampers are active in all modes, so as much as you do not select 'comfort' you are getting the benefit of the DCC in all modes regardless.

My colleagues vanilla GTI is definitely a little harder in his normal than the normal with DCC.

But will caveat that by stating that ride is acceptable but definitely firmer (have been the passenger many times, he now has R envy though)

One other observation was you never mentioned economy once which imagine just says you have really embraced the "it is what it is" attitudes :)

Individual is now my stock mode setting with engine sound on Eco, the R makes such lovely noises of its own (when drop into S on the DSG) without drowning them, and the soundaktor does grind on you when just moving around in traffic.

Race is always only a second or two away as you state and therein lies the beauty of the car in how you can shape it to your day and mood and not vice versa.

Yes it definitely still gives.  :smiley:

I know the DCC is adaptive in all modes (also had previous gen on my mk6 GTI), and constantly adjusting to driving style/conditions etc, so am aware of its additional benefits over just softening ride etc in comfort, but even taking that into account, it's still think it would be something I could easily live without. I have driven and been a passenger in a friends non DCC mk7 GTD several times, and know that it's an option that I would not massively miss.  If my budget was restricted it would be the thing I would drop over the other things.  I like a firm suspension.  :smiley:

I didn't mention economy more through oversight than anything else, lol, but you are quite correct, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.  My average mpg in previous mk6 GTI wasn't great so no great shock that the R is what it is, which is low - varies between 19/20mpg and 23/24mpg depending on time of year (school term traffic versus schools hols traffic here makes a marked difference).  Whilst many do return reasonable mpg figures, IMO, you don't get an R is you are overly concerned with mpg.  And I'm not.  :smiley:

This is where the personal element comes in as other than when driving spiritedly my wish is for a softer ride on the local drive (Been programme of road repairs over last couple of years in my area so not the potted mess it once was)

Came from two S Line on the pure S Line suspension and though once loved that firm ride too, it did actually wear on me the second time around.

So given my penchant now is more for supple ride on the daily moving around its likely where we differ.

23.1 MPG was my last £60 of Momentum (£1.17) which was predominately local runs, so given that and with engine only at 600 miles pretty happy and can still see 30's when runs truly mixed.

But its more curiosity now, as did not bat and eyelid on last fill, just did it and drove off.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #425 on: 16 December 2016, 13:44 »
Latest micro mod - fitted the Badgeskins sun visor stickers to cover the garish airbag labels.

Absolutely love them, perfect cover-up for the nasty garish white and yellow airbag stickers - banished at last.  The Badgeskins stickers are nicely subtle and superb quality.  Very easy to fit, I just followed the instructions from their website, making sure the area was thoroughly clean with IPA, I already had some but they include a couple of wipes in the pack.  The badgeskins are supposed to be applied in temps no lower than 15 degrees, so I switched the engine on and heated the car up to about 18 degrees before fitting them.  After much deliberation and sitting in the driver’s seat with the labels temporarily tacked on, I decided to fit the one on the folded side of the visor so that it was the right way from the drivers field of vision.  The right choice.  Few pics...

Sun visor pulled down

Sun visor folded up

Field of vision from driver’s seat

Fitting instuctions http://www.badgeskins.com/how-to---visor-badgeskin-application.html

Badge skins sun visor stickers - correct size for Golf  http://www.badgeskins.com/store/p161/VW_-_12273_-_Visor_warning_label_badgekin_set.html
« Last Edit: 16 December 2016, 13:46 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #426 on: 16 December 2016, 15:27 »
I was sceptical when you first posted about these but actually they door look very good. Those airbag signs ard annoying but I must say I don't notice them too much? Are they easily removeable do you know?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #427 on: 16 December 2016, 15:32 »
I was sceptical when you first posted about these but actually they door look very good. Those airbag signs ard annoying but I must say I don't notice them too much? Are they easily removeable do you know?

They look much better than I was expecting.  I don't know how easy to remove but I should think they would be easy enough with a bit of IPA to loosen.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #428 on: 17 December 2016, 10:30 »
I don't know how easy to remove but I should think they would be easy enough with a bit of IPA to loosen.

The chaps on the BMW F30 forum remove the oem stickers by laying a piece of kitchen roll soaked in IPA (not the beer) and then wrapped in cling  film and they seem to lift off easily.

Think the badge skins look bang on though, like the contrast of matt/gloss  :cool:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #429 on: 17 December 2016, 17:27 »
If those badge skins are a bugger to get off, are there any requirements for the info under them to be visible - e.g. would you fail an MOT with these stickers in place, or are VW just being super-responsible by placing them in the first place?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.