Author Topic: 19" Santiago Problems - all 4 buckled  (Read 10696 times)

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
Re: 19" Santiago Problems - all 4 buckled
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2015, 19:28 »
Out of curiosity are the 19"s made by Ronal as well like the 18"?
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2015, 20:13 »
That's ridiculous. Sorry for your troubles.

Glad I didn't fork out the extra £1k for them now!
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2015, 21:36 »
Just had the same problem with mine (29000m, 2013). One of them buckling front o/s was due to pothole damage, but the other one on the n/s rear I don't understand. One of them is being replaced under warranty(rust?), unfortunately not a buckled one. I'll be interested what VW say.
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2015, 14:04 »
Hi,

Anyone else having bother with the 19" Santiagos. I have had some issues with vibration driving at high speed and VW have confirmed that all 4 of my wheels are buckled..

No damage to the tyres (punctures, bulges etc) and no impact damage to the rims. I cant recall hitting anything so I am at a loss as to how I have managed to total 4 wheels.

Wished I had just bought the 18s and saved some $$ and had some rubber to actually protect the wheel.

Reckon they may have made them too lightweight to try and get good consumption/emissions results!!

Anyone else have any bother with them? Absolute joke if I have to replace 4 new wheels not covered by warranty.

Mike

Try here much cheaper than vw for replacements

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-VW-SANTIAGO-STYLE-ALLOY-WHEELS-FITS-VW-GOLF-MK7-5-X-112-BLACK-POLISHED-/251984262039

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2015, 17:41 »
Hi,

Anyone else having bother with the 19" Santiagos. I have had some issues with vibration driving at high speed and VW have confirmed that all 4 of my wheels are buckled..

No damage to the tyres (punctures, bulges etc) and no impact damage to the rims. I cant recall hitting anything so I am at a loss as to how I have managed to total 4 wheels.

Wished I had just bought the 18s and saved some $$ and had some rubber to actually protect the wheel.

Reckon they may have made them too lightweight to try and get good consumption/emissions results!!

Anyone else have any bother with them? Absolute joke if I have to replace 4 new wheels not covered by warranty.

Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-VW-SANTIAGO-STYLE-ALLOY-WHEELS-FITS-VW-GOLF-MK7-5-X-112-BLACK-POLISHED-/251984262039

I take it they are replicas 'SANTIAGO-STYLE'

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2015, 17:44 »
Hi,

Mike

I take it they are replicas 'SANTIAGO-STYLE'

No idea but if the originals are not warranty covered why worry?  Especially if genuine are prone to damage 

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2015, 17:47 »
You definitely got a point in this case.

I'd just steer clear of replacing again with 19s

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2015, 13:46 »
I actually have no visible buckles like the previous picture - its only when you put them on a balancing machine you can see the inner edges are bucked apparently.

I noticed it through excessive vibration when driving at "motorway speeds" and thought there was a problem with suspension etc which I asked to get checked out.

VW have just called to say that VW UK will not support replacing them so the dealer is going to do nothing apart from a "contribution" towards an attempted repair.

Absolute joke if you ask me - I used to have an Audi S3 and completely smashed a pothole once and burst the tyre and dinged the rim but the alloy survived buckle free.

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2015, 16:13 »
So VW are now saying that they will not assist me under warranty apart from a gesture towards refurbishment.

I am sticking to my guns saying it looks like a design issue or a material defect causing all 4 to buckle since the buckles are very slight and there is no damage to any of the tyres.

VW are justifying their course of action saying their policy is not to replace buckles alloys under warranty.. Doesn't mean much without some kind of back up to say they have reviewed and tested my wheels to verify they are fit for purpose and safe.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2015, 16:25 »
Have you been to a non-VW garage to determine if the wheels are optimally balanced?
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S