Author Topic: Whoosh and lag  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
Re: Whoosh and lag
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2014, 17:52 »
Afternoon all

Before I make a complete numpty of myself and say to the dealer 'I can hear the turbo', I assume no one else can hear any turbo 'sounds'?

PS
Booked in for the 2nd Sep for the clutch judder to be looked at.

Sorry, me again...you can tell that I'm on holiday  :grin:

See, I'm not going mad  :wink:...from an Autotrader review:

5. Performance
There’s no denying that the GTD is quick. The 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel feels every bit as strong as its quoted 181bhp and 258lb/ft of torque suggests. Fitted with either the six-speed manual transmission, or the six-speed twin-clutch ‘box, it’ll get from 0-62mph in 7.5 seconds and on to a top speed of 143mph, which is plenty quick enough for most tastes. It’s the surge of torque from 2,500rpm all the way up to the red-line that really gets you, though, the delivery feeling both muscle-bound and surprisingly free-revving at the same time. This engine really is a gem – it doesn’t even sound like a diesel – the noise it makes through the twin-exhausts is a discreetly menacing burble, while there’s a faint hint of a turbocharged whoosh in there as well.
Our rating: 4
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Bluefloyd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2014, 18:30 »
I do notice a bit a bit of turbo noise at low revs. It's not loud and I can only hear it with the radio off, but it's definitely there. As for lag, it's nothing compared to my old Renault 5T.  :grin:
Black Gtd with box

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2014, 18:40 »
I do notice a bit a bit of turbo noise at low revs. It's not loud and I can only hear it with the radio off, but it's definitely there. As for lag, it's nothing compared to my old Renault 5T.  :grin:

Yeah, it is just me I think unfairly comparing NA petrol to a turbo diesel.  I wasn't sure with the turbo sound as I can't remember hearing any noise on my old PD130 but the 320d whined like a siren, which BMW insisted was normal.  I'll stop worrying now then  :smiley:

Thanks.
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.