Author Topic: Traffic Cameras, preferred method.  (Read 5161 times)

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
Re: Traffic Cameras, preferred method.
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2014, 10:31 »
Thanks the reply Sootchucker - kind of what I was thinking. I'll try and load the PocketGPSworld database again when I get a chance. Last time I tried the file didn't seem to be the correct format to load on to Discover Pro, no doubt I've missed something.

Regards,
VW Golf GTI Performance Pack, Manual, 5Dr, Deep Black, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Chassis Control, Climate Windscreen, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Discover Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Side Airbag System, High Beam Assist, Dynaudio. Ordered 26/08/2013, Collected 12/12/13

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2014, 17:00 »
If you are having trouble installing the update, check the folder and file hierachy is correct on the SD Card.  When opening the SD on your computer you should only see the Personal POI folder and metainfo2.txt file.  If you do not then the Nav Pro will not find the files and update.  The format of the SD card has to be correct for the Nav Pro to update.  I ran in to this trouble as well.  As when the zip file is extracted it places these folders and files in another folder. 

On another note you have more than one slot for personal POI's.  So you can have for example Fixed Cameras, Mobile Cameras etc,. as separate icons.  The thing is there just isn't enough slots for all the separate POI's on PocketGPSWorld at the same time.  This is why I downloaded the single link so they were all combined. 

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2014, 18:24 »
Hello,

Thanks for the information, I think I may have gone wrong with the file format for a start - as I use PocketGPSWorld Garmin file format for my motorbikes. So I tried to download the database in a Garmin format .GPX I think.

Does it matter how the SD Card is actually formatted? I used the 'ex-fat' format I think.

The advice about folder and file hierachy is helpful as well.

Would the single file .CSV format database be the one to download then?

So many questions I know :-).

Thanks,

Regards,

VW Golf GTI Performance Pack, Manual, 5Dr, Deep Black, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Chassis Control, Climate Windscreen, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Discover Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Side Airbag System, High Beam Assist, Dynaudio. Ordered 26/08/2013, Collected 12/12/13

Offline lawrie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2014, 19:09 »
Scotchucker is right when he says your personal POI's are replaced when you upload a new set.

The standard ones are not replaced, if that is what you meant.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2014, 19:25 »
When I say format, I mean't the layout of your folders and files within the SD Card, not the actual format (for example Fat 32, NTFS etc,.) 

The .CSV file is what I used to create my File on the VW website for the Nav Pro.  As mentioned earlier you can open the CSV file as well and edit or add more longitude and Latitude data for new personal locations of your own. 

The other guys are also right, your personal POI data is replaced with new data installed.  But the preset POI's like Banks, Petrol Stations etc,. remain as they are not stored in the same place as your personal POI's on the Nav Pro.

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2014, 22:28 »
Well, at last I'm getting the gist of it. Thanks all for taking the time to explain things; it all makes a lot more sense now. I was worried that the pre-set POIs would be wiped, so I'll try again when I get back to the UK.

Thanks,

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2014, 22:31 »
Today I managed to get audio warnings of traffic cameras, without loading the POIs into the navigation system (which I can't do anyway, as I have the Discover Nav and not Nav Pro)

This method could probably be used in conjunction with the visual display of the POIs as detailed above - perhaps someone with Nav Pro could confirm?

The method I used is as follows:-

I have an iPhone 4S which is paired via bluetooth to the car.

On the phone is the Pocketgpsworld Cameralert app which uses their database.

In the settings for the Cameralert app, the audio route is set to bluetooth.

With the app running, when you approach a traffic camera the app routes the audio warning message via BT to the stereo, interrupting any music playing/radio etc. After the warning, the music resumes.

I confirmed that this method worked tonight while playing music off the SD card, and whilst there is no display on the nav screen, there could be with POIs loaded into the Nav Pro. I think it should also work on the CMS stereo, as it is just bluetooth audio that is being used for the warnings.

There are a couple of possible disadvantages to this method of warnings.

1. The app does tend to drain the phone battery more than normal, as the GPS is running all the time - therefore it might be better if the phone was plugged in to charge. I've yet to test whether enough of a GPS signal can be received if the phone is hidden away and plugged into the iPod lead.
2. I'm not sure what would happen if a phone call was received, and which audio would take precedence.

I presume the Android version of the Cameralert app would work in a similar way, although I can't check this either.

Hopefully this will be useful to some of you.
Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2014, 04:40 »
RE: pocketgps App

On previous cars I have had, the camera warning does also interrupt the phone call in progress :(

I haven't tried this on the Golf yet, but presume it will do the same.  This makes it a no go for me unfortunately.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline MaccaGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2014, 14:54 »
On a slightly related issue for people in the South West I was driving back to Exeter on the M5 in Bristol and where they have the gantry speed signs with cameras - Jct 15-17 - I noticed a flash as I passed by one. Now the speed limits were unlit and my understanding was that the cameras only worked if they were lit. I think I was doing about 80 on a relatively empty motorway at about 7.30pm. So empty that it couldn't have been another car getting flashed as I was the only one in sight of the camera.

I've looked into this and some people talk about random flashes but I also read a report that the M62 cameras operate even with the speed limit signs switched off and loads of people have been caught out.
As I understand it if I have been flashed I should receive notification within 3 weeks but hopefully not.

Sneaky or what?

I noticed this northbound on Tuesday around 4PM on way back from south via M5 variable section past Bristol. Saw 2 flashes from middle camera, the motorway was busy and I looked over my shoulder as a passed the gantry and saw the signs were not lit!

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2014, 14:06 »
Went to holland a few years ago and for miles the cameras were scorched,so I asked one of the locals in the shops and he said the people didn't want them there so they wrapped them in tyres and burnt the f---ers down  :laugh:
Seen some in the Northeast that had been felled with gas torches... (wasn't anyone on here was it? :grin:)
GTD + 3 pedals :-)