Author Topic: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..  (Read 99411 times)

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
Re: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..
« Reply #300 on: 28 February 2015, 08:40 »
I really don't get why VW don't allow you to alter the soundaktor via the menu.  Better still would have been a physical variable switch like the one that Lexus have on the IS300 H.  You could choose all or nothing in any of the modes selected.  I like all the responsiveness (realatively speaking compared to naturally aspirated) of the sport mode but none of the noise.  I ended up unplugging mine in the end, much better in my opinion.
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #301 on: 28 February 2015, 13:11 »
You can adjust the soundaktuator volume using VCDS.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #302 on: 28 February 2015, 17:05 »
For different modes?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #303 on: 01 March 2015, 09:23 »
No not for different modes but it's only noisy in sport mode.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #304 on: 01 March 2015, 09:34 »

Is that "its only ON in sport mode"?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #305 on: 01 March 2015, 10:05 »

Is that "its only ON in sport mode"?

You sort of reduce the volume as a whole so you will only really hear it at all in Sport mode. You can reduce the volume in increments.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #306 on: 01 March 2015, 15:20 »
Well guys, you weren't wrong. It's great. transformed good car into a great car. I tried a few settings but 3+2 is my favourite. The power delivery is as smooth as without the box but the torque is amazing. I've never had a tuning box before and usually go down the remap route But the fact this can be so easily removed sold it to me. well that and the fact so many of you on here rate them so highly.
Awesome stuff Bluefloyd, great isn't it! I haven't delved as high as +2 as +1 feels great to me and is likely to be lower risk for issues long term. I'm not sure what the Bhp difference is on the two, anyone?

Thanks for the pedal box feedback Exonian, I think it was some of your previous comments (here or elsewhere) that helped make my mind up. A lot of the TDI users report much decreased 'lag', so I'm not sure how that works or if it's just the feel the increased sensitivity gives you, but looking forward to it.

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #307 on: 02 June 2016, 16:55 »
I have fitted a CRD-T to my GTD.

Absolutely transforms it. As its an older box with the 'jumper' adjusters I've left it on Prog 4+1.

From the supplied graphs it seems the most linear in terms of fuelling/boost adjustments & delivery seems to match OEM (just a lot more of it) so that's where it's staying. Don't want to risk limp modes/clutch issues

As others have reported, the gains are really very noticeable in the higher gears.

Feedback for DTUK::

It would be nice to be able to correlate the different programs in a visual format. Spend a day or two on a dyno & try to overlay the different programs as well as running the car standard....

This is what customers want to see.

The 'every driver has a different preference therefore try them all' thing is a bit lame IMO. (No offence intended!)

The chat function on the DTUK site was also a bit hit & miss for me.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #308 on: 05 June 2016, 14:38 »
I have fitted a CRD-T to my GTD.

Absolutely transforms it. As its an older box with the 'jumper' adjusters I've left it on Prog 4+1.

From the supplied graphs it seems the most linear in terms of fuelling/boost adjustments & delivery seems to match OEM (just a lot more of it) so that's where it's staying. Don't want to risk limp modes/clutch issues

As others have reported, the gains are really very noticeable in the higher gears.

Feedback for DTUK::

It would be nice to be able to correlate the different programs in a visual format. Spend a day or two on a dyno & try to overlay the different programs as well as running the car standard....

This is what customers want to see.

The 'every driver has a different preference therefore try them all' thing is a bit lame IMO. (No offence intended!)

The chat function on the DTUK site was also a bit hit & miss for me.

I've seen the people mention the graph overlays before and think it would be a good idea myself.
I guess from DTUK's perspective is that they market so many different boxes for different cars that it would be nigh on impossible to show graphs overlaid for every model but there are ways around this such as using popular selling models.
As an example the 2.0 184 TDI is sold in plenty of different guises across the VAG group and being possibly the choice of most people that want a sporty VAG Diesel car it would definitely be one they could highlight.
DTE systems must surely rolling road the car in all its programs before releasing it for sale so even a 'rough estimate'  overlay or three would be helpful from the manufacturers. Then if DTUK do their own tweaks on from the DTE supplied files they can just say "add 5-10bhp at xxx rpm or 10-15lb ft at xxx rpm on map xxx" from the DTE graphs.
There will always be forum moaners that aren't satisfied with this but probably the worst moaners don't actually spend their money on the boxes anyway.
I've seen an overlay of the pedal box settings so there's no reason DTE can't do it for the tuning boxes too assuming they don't already(?).
To be honest it's a few years since I bought my box for my GTI so I've not looked for graphs since. If I get a GTD at some point in the future then I'd be back in the market...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #309 on: 04 August 2016, 14:50 »
when we had the older CRD09 modules, we had the facility to take a screenshot of the 4 files. When the modules were updated to the CRD14 (trevor) we lost this facility..

Well its still there, but it would mean taking 3 screenshots and we found that a lot of people didnt understand what they meant.

We have recently launched the CRD3+ and i took 2 of the 3 files to the dyno ( one of them was developed afterwards) and 2 of the three both produced 234/236hp and 377lbft. The dyno curves are virtually identical, but both feel completely different on the road,
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code