Author Topic: Not another tension failure... That's whats wrong with my GTI!  (Read 32601 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Re: Not another tension failure... That's whats wrong with my GTI!
« Reply #60 on: 22 September 2013, 20:04 »
Likewise. Mine definitely sounded worse than that before I got a new one fitted the other week.

Offline MEZZA22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #61 on: 23 September 2013, 17:10 »
Just been told by my dealer they have ordered a new re-manufactured engine following the timing chain tensioner
failure - they originally built up the original engine with new parts but only the top end,but the service manager
said there was an issue with it.
Just wondering if anybody here who has had a new engine - was it brand new or re-manufactured ? - what is the
standard practice in these cases ? - I only found out it would be re-manufactured after I asked about fitting a new
clutch at the same time seeing as the car had done 40,000 miles - this would cost £382 inc vat just for the parts.
(includes release bearing,new stretch bolts etc)
Also wondering will it have the latest design of tensioner ?

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 23 September 2013, 17:46 »
Just been told by my dealer they have ordered a new re-manufactured engine following the timing chain tensioner
failure - they originally built up the original engine with new parts but only the top end,but the service manager
said there was an issue with it.
Just wondering if anybody here who has had a new engine - was it brand new or re-manufactured ? - what is the
standard practice in these cases ? - I only found out it would be re-manufactured after I asked about fitting a new
clutch at the same time seeing as the car had done 40,000 miles - this would cost £382 inc vat just for the parts.
(includes release bearing,new stretch bolts etc)
Also wondering will it have the latest design of tensioner ?

Not sure mate, mine has been getting delayed due to me negotiating over the price IF the tensioner is the cause. Finally come to an argreement this evening and so the strip down should happen over the next few days. Once they know the tensioner is the cause then Iv'e been told a possible new engine so I assumed brand spanking new but I sure will ask IF this is the outcome.

Fingers crossed I'm just hoping my engines toast ...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline MEZZA22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #63 on: 23 September 2013, 19:05 »
OK,thanks - does anybody know where my re-manufactured engine will come from when ordered by a main dealer - will it be just as good as a completely new engine ?

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
« Reply #64 on: 23 September 2013, 19:34 »
The engines ordered from VW Main Dealers will be a new unit, sent from the factory.

Im sure some parts will be remanufactured, but you shouldnt have any worries, and it will have its usual guarantee.

Golf GTI MK6 Manual - Tornado Red with Jacara Cloth, Monza Shadows, RNS510, Dynaudio System, Fiscon Bluetooth, Front & Rear Park Sensors, ACC, Cruise Control, Winter Pack & Xenon Lights.

Offline jhunter_83

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #65 on: 23 September 2013, 20:46 »
Hope this isn't the case with mine ......

2010 Silver Golf GTi 5 Door, Poverty spec wheels, RCD510 Bluetooth and DAB, Pagid Discs and Tarox Strada Pads

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #66 on: 23 September 2013, 22:08 »
Jimmy what price did you negotiate in the end?

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #67 on: 25 September 2013, 19:12 »

£675 is the price we have settled on affectively 100% parts and 50% labour contribution. Although this deal only stands IF the tensioner is to blame and they aren't doing the strip till Monday. But after chatting with one of the main mechanics he's pretty certain its a new engine.

Just want my GTI back driving around in a 15 year old Peugeot 306 makes you realise how amazing it is....
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline squirrelGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #68 on: 26 September 2013, 14:07 »

£675 is the price we have settled on affectively 100% parts and 50% labour contribution. Although this deal only stands IF the tensioner is to blame and they aren't doing the strip till Monday. But after chatting with one of the main mechanics he's pretty certain its a new engine.

Just want my GTI back driving around in a 15 year old Peugeot 306 makes you realise how amazing it is....

You've done pretty well for 50% labour. Keep us posted and good luck!
Gone GTi | 3dr | Manual | Carbon Grey | Xenons | Monza 18's | RCD 510 |Rear Camera | Winter Pack.

Offline mac456

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 26 September 2013, 15:58 »
thats a good result for a new engine! £675!

Does the MK5 suffer from anything like this? reading this has me worried!