Author Topic: mk7 Golf R UK press release  (Read 22810 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: mk7 Golf R UK press release
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2013, 12:26 »
Shame they don't remove the fwd and just allow it to be a rwd car... or am I dreaming :D

Maybe I'm ready that article wrong but it states: 
"If necessary, almost 100 per cent of power can be transferred to the rear axle"

Sounds familiar.  Lifted straight from the PP e-diff description.  Is it basically the same system do you think?

Its still not quite the same as RWD though since I'm guessing you have no ability to control where the power is and certainly can't switch off the FWD so how often would you actually have 100% power on the rear?  Probably never.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2013, 12:36 »
Shame they don't remove the fwd and just allow it to be a rwd car... or am I dreaming :D

Maybe I'm ready that article wrong but it states: 
"If necessary, almost 100 per cent of power can be transferred to the rear axle"

Sounds familiar.  Lifted straight from the PP e-diff description.  Is it basically the same system do you think?

Its still not quite the same as RWD though since I'm guessing you have no ability to control where the power is and certainly can't switch off the FWD so how often would you actually have 100% power on the rear?  Probably never.

I'm lost? How does the PP e-diff system give 100% power to the rear?  :huh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2013, 12:46 »
The same description is used but obviously it is referring to the inside and outside front wheels.

I wonder if its basically the same clutch pack they are using between the front and rear wheels as the PP uses between the left and right front wheels.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2013, 16:38 »
I like the look of it.  But wonder if I like the look of the front of the GTI more.  Need to see more photos of the Golf R to judge it properly.  Also would be good to see what the interior is like?  I read it was cloth and Alcantara. 

I don't think it will be just on £30K, I suspect there will be more of a margin between the R and GTI than just a couple grand. more like up to almost £32K  I suspect just like the last Golf R. 

I actually like the wheels, they look different to the normal designs for alloys, and the colour is pretty cool too.  But I wonder if the front looks a little dull and ordinary compared to the GTI.  I think it's the lack of the prominent stripe.  and the lack of front fog lights. 

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2013, 17:22 »
The S3 is £30,640 (ish), surely the Golf R will have to be less?
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2013, 17:32 »
The S3 is £30,640 (ish), surely the Golf R will have to be less?

Tough to see how they can fit the R between the S3 and the GTI without making one of the three poor value.

Personally I think they will price the R very near to the S3 figuring that people won't be put off the S3 because some like a more "upmarket" car and the R has the image and reputation as being more raw.  Also the S3 is Audi's problem!  Of course logically this would make the S3 a poor choice, although going by certain reviews its poor anyway and worse when you look at it against the M135i so adding in the R as another better choice can't hurt it anymore really!

VW really should have chopped £2k off the GTI price though to make it really competitive and ease the R pricing.  Though if they've sold out of them until next year I guess they'd say they don't have to.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2013, 18:56 »
If I remember right, wasn't the Mk6 Golf R slightly more expensive than the previous gen S3 as well.  If they shave any money off the Golf R it will most likely be only a few hundred pounds in my opinion.  If VW do make the Golf R just on £30K I guess a lot of us will feel a little sick as we have bought GTI's for almost that price if not over.  If you add the Performance pack to the Golf GTI it is only something just over £2K-£3K difference.  Surely they cannot make the Golf R that cheap.  It would be great if they did.  But some food for thought, wasn't the GTI Mk7 +£500 over the GTI MK6 price?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2013, 18:59 »
It will be £32k minimum. Plus options you're looking at £35k before any discounts, which will be minimal IMO.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2013, 19:23 »
Like Matchboy, I also think it will be £32K like the MK6 was before it.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2013, 20:08 »
To be honest, the R will probably be much better equipped out of the box than the S3. Everything seems chargeable with Audi's.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras