Author Topic: Opinions on options. Help me decide  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Opinions on options. Help me decide
« Reply #20 on: 11 August 2013, 16:24 »
PP = No brainer  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unless Steve17's wife drives like 'The Stig' why not save a grand and use it to fill the tank.

Are we saying he'll be slumming it with the 'stock' GTI? If not then save the cash or buy the fancy Sat Nav if you must.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Marcus007

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 11 August 2013, 16:31 »
PP = No brainer  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unless Steve17's wife drives like 'The Stig' why not save a grand and use it to fill the tank.

Are we saying he'll be slumming it with the 'stock' GTI? If not then save the cash or buy the fancy Sat Nav if you must.

I agree but using that logic would it not be better to get Steves wife a GTD and get more mpg and probably better residuals :undecided:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #22 on: 11 August 2013, 16:33 »
Same old arguments. Rather than driving a GTI you could be driving a hybrid and saving the planet. We all have different opinions. For me the GTI is a hot hatch and the PP makes it hotter  :evil: :evil:

Well that's just it, you feel the PP makes the car hotter, and for you that's obviously a huge deal.  Paying an extra grand for something that adds weight and shaves only a tenth of the 0-60 time is not something I'd jump at. Different strokes for different folks, and irrelevant hybrid comparisons aside, all I'm saying is that the stock GTI, for what it represents, offers all the performance I want in an everyday runner.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2013, 16:35 »
I think we should slap everyone who from now says something is a no brainer...ffs! one option for one is not what everyone should have and it won't make a blind bit of difference come resale time if the gti has pp or not. its just something else for VW to rub those greasy palms about as are most options. if it were me I'd be ditching the keyless the leather and the pp and going with the the large sat nav and park assist. you will never notice the pp in everyday driving to and from work or to the shops.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2013, 16:38 »
Same old arguments. Rather than driving a GTI you could be driving a hybrid and saving the planet. We all have different opinions. For me the GTI is a hot hatch and the PP makes it hotter  :evil: :evil:

Well that's just it, you feel the PP makes the car hotter, and for you that's obviously a huge deal.  Paying an extra grand for something that adds weight and shaves only a tenth of the 0-60 time is not something I'd jump at. Different strokes for different folks, and irrelevant hybrid comparisons aside, all I'm saying is that the stock GTI, for what it represents, offers all the performance I want in an everyday runner.

I've paid an extra grand for an extra 10bhp, an LSD and bigger brakes. Your paying £600 for effectively a heated front screen. Who's getting the better value for money?

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2013, 17:06 »
I've paid an extra grand for an extra 10bhp, an LSD and bigger brakes. Your paying £600 for effectively a heated front screen. Who's getting the better value for money?

Like we said, differing opinions on what's important and what represents value.  A pro race driver only eeked out 1s per mile around the Nurburgring with PP, so that means what to me in everyday driving?!  10 extra HP is joke really, and only there to help offset the extra weight of the diff and brakes.  I also have to question just how ineffective people think the stock brakes are relative to PP...going by reviews they just appear to be eye candy.  I can't argue that the diff of course will make a difference to drag starts and powering out of corners, but I don't drive like that.  Nothing at all in the PP as it currently stands makes any difference to how I'll use and experience the car for 99.9% of the time.

A heated windscreen however, that's an additional feature that the car either has or it doesn't.  I just happen to value comfort and convenience over performance fractions.

As ever this can go around in circles so let's just agree to disagree and enjoy our options :)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 11 August 2013, 17:14 »

Like we said, differing opinions on what's important and what represents value.  A pro race driver only eeked out 1s per mile around the Nurburgring with PP, so that means what to me in everyday driving?!  10 extra HP is joke really, and only there to help offset the extra weight of the diff and brakes.  I also have to question just how ineffective people think the stock brakes are relative to PP...going by reviews they just appear to be eye candy.  I can't argue that the diff of course will make a difference to drag starts and powering out of corners, but I don't drive like that.  Nothing at all in the PP as it currently stands makes any difference to how I'll use and experience the car for 99.9% of the time.

A heated windscreen however, that's an additional feature that the car either has or it doesn't.  I just happen to value comfort and convenience over performance fractions.

As ever this can go around in circles so let's just agree to disagree and enjoy our options :)

That's fair enough, but if you prefer comfort and convenience over performance why not go down the GTD route and save a few quid on petrol. The GTD has good performance and probably all you would ever need. Why the need for a GTI if your not that interested in performance stats? Just asking?

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #27 on: 11 August 2013, 17:32 »
That's fair enough, but if you prefer comfort and convenience over performance why not go down the GTD route and save a few quid on petrol. The GTD has good performance and probably all you would ever need. Why the need for a GTI if your not that interested in performance stats? Just asking?

A fair observation and question, with simple answers really.  I currently have a Mk5 GTI, bought because barring the not-so-nice rear bumper, I loved the looks (including red accents), smooth petrol engine, effortless performance, and it brings a smile to my face even to this day.  I've driven diesels before, not really for me, and with the mileage I do, the cost benefits are of little relevance.

I'm buying the Mk7 GTI for much the same reasons, except this time there is not one angle I don't like about it.  Again, I like the red accents, and much prefer the GTI alloys over the GTD ones.  You wrongly assume that I'm not interested in performance stats.  If I wasn't bothered I'd just get a normal Golf, but there is a level of performance, smoothness and agility I'm used to enjoying, only to be improved on with the Mk7.  What I'm not interested in is eeking out a 10th here, 1s per mile there and adding stuff that's really only ever going to be realised by a skilled driver on a track.