Author Topic: GTD Demo - North Herts  (Read 8290 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTD Demo - North Herts
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2013, 14:42 »
been for an extended test drive today of a dsg gtd up here in Sunderland. no noticeable difference between the gti I drove and the gtd. doesn't feel heavy, lardy, lumpy or anything other than a great car to drive. I can't wait for mine to come now. put my foot down in 6th on a19 sitting at 60 and even with the dsg it took off and was still pulling hard. I'm not convinced about the dsg but I haven't ordered mine with it anyway. nothing wrong with it but I just prefer the manual. got great mpg's out of it too (mid 50's down to low 40's). mine can't come quick enough!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2013, 15:01 »
no noticeable difference between the gti I drove and the gtd.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2013, 16:10 »
been for an extended test drive today of a dsg gtd up here in Sunderland. no noticeable difference between the gti I drove and the gtd. doesn't feel heavy, lardy, lumpy or anything other than a great car to drive. I can't wait for mine to come now. put my foot down in 6th on a19 sitting at 60 and even with the dsg it took off and was still pulling hard. I'm not convinced about the dsg but I haven't ordered mine with it anyway. nothing wrong with it but I just prefer the manual. got great mpg's out of it too (mid 50's down to low 40's). mine can't come quick enough!

Good to hear. Mine can't come quick enough either!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2013, 16:52 »
no noticeable difference between the gti I drove and the gtd.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
yes exactly what I said. loads of people on here and other forms think the gti is a cut above everything else. sorry to burst your bubbles but no real difference between the gti and gtd. obviously everyone who ordered the gti thinks they have the best car since sliced bread and people who have ordered the gtd will think the same. any differences are minute and in everyday use you'll never tell the difference. both have pros  :cool: and cons (not many cons on either car mind)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2013, 17:01 »
Hmm.  Not that I want to see another GTI vs GTD knife fight, but they are different cars and there are differences.  If you're saying there is no difference you're basically saying every GTI buyer is a chump.

I think they are both superb machines.  Different, but both superb.  My opinion only of course.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2013, 17:23 »
I'm definitely not saying everyone who ordered a gti is a chump and to be quite honest it's ridiculous comments like that which people take the hump with. if you've ordered a gti then you'll be happy. if you've ordered a gtd you'll be happy but what I'm saying is in real terms you'll see very little if any difference between the two. I toyed with ordering a gti but in the end I'm giving the diesel one last chance. gti next time maybe.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2013, 17:26 »
I'm definitely not saying everyone who ordered a gti is a chump and to be quite honest it's ridiculous comments like that which people take the hump with. if you've ordered a gti then you'll be happy. if you've ordered a gtd you'll be happy but what I'm saying is in real terms you'll see very little if any difference between the two. I toyed with ordering a gti but in the end I'm giving the diesel one last chance. gti next time maybe.

Sorry, didn't mean to say you were saying we're all chumps!  I actually meant you weren't saying it but that it would be the logical conclusion if you continued the logic... (confused yet, I think my brain has some crossed wires somewhere).

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2013, 17:53 »
no problem bill but you know how others can and will pick up on the gtd v gti argument.  :wink:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2013, 18:34 »
no problem bill but you know how others can and will pick up on the gtd v gti argument.  :wink:

Not turning this into a GTI v GTD bore fest mcmaddy, that's been done to death.  I was just laughing at your, quite frankly, ridiculous statement that there is no difference between the two!

We shall see as tomorrow I'm driving the GTD. I'll report back with my comparison. If they're the same I shall say so.  But I think we all know that they won't be.  But in the spirit of fairness I shall drive it with a completely open mind.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 26 July 2013, 21:01 »
I'm getting my GTD test drive tomorrow, in my ordered colour of Tornado Red. It is a pity it's a DSG - i'm not a fan, i'll have to use the paddles to replicate the manual experience as much as possible rather than have the DSG hang every gear to the red line (really not necessary on a TDI). The dealer has told me I can have it for a few hours which would be nice, but i'll have to be there early to take advantage before the Sunderland Airshow spectator traffic completely chokes the local roads. I will be giving it a blast down the A19 to Hartlepool and back.

The GTD vs GTD debate never ceases (so I will add to it). I will be happy enough that on paper the GTD matches the MK6 GTI for in-gear acceleration and is just 0.3s down on the 0-62 time that I would never fully exploit. Any miniscule handling differences between MK7 GTI and GTD will not be apparent in lawful highway driving (you might see the difference trying to take a roundabout at 80mph), and apart from drag racing there'll be a car's length or 2 between the 2 cars on a 40-75mph acceleration (i'll not be losing sleep over that). For that performance difference i'll not be feeling the pinch when I put my foot down - maintaining 40mpg in a GTD will be a lot more fun than trying to do the same in a GTI.

Getting hung up over weight/handling is pointless - a 3 door GTD manual will weigh about 67kg less than a 5 door GTI DSG PP with sunroof, will that run the GTIs handling? Maybe on a track, but on the UK roads you will never notice. Driving without a passenger to balance out the passenger weight would be more noticeable (driving it to it's limits). GTI was never an option for me until I know what my commute is going to be when I have to start job hunting in 14 months time. I'd be kicking myself if I bought a GTI and ended up tripling my commute in my new job. Everyone has their reasons for what they pick and for most here, their cars will never routinely do more than 90mph on a straight road (which will bother neither car).
« Last Edit: 26 July 2013, 23:11 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.