Author Topic: Delivery Mileage  (Read 9839 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Delivery Mileage
« Reply #40 on: 24 July 2013, 10:28 »
Then they nip down to the supermarket and put in the cheapest and nastiest stuff possible. No thanks, for the sake of £50 I'd rather full it up myself and know from the outset the engine is getting the best start to life.

Makes no odds to me - there is no proof that more expensive fuel provides better performance and prolongs engine life.  I've been using supermarket fuels in my Mk5 GTI for years, and it has been as reliable and consistent as ever.  Make sure you drain what is in your tank first though, don't want that premium stuff getting contaminated!
you sure about that  :undecided:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/high-octane-equals-better-mpg

Interesting...

The Astra VXR; does Vauxhall recommend 98 RON?

The point is, it depends on what the car is mapped for, if it is mapped for 95 RON putting a higher octane rating should not give you more power, or better fuel consumption.

If you put 95 RON in a car mapped for 98, I would expect to see what Autocar found... the car backs off the timing to avoid detonation (pinking) and the less optimum settings result in less power and greater fuel consumption...

So, if the Golf is mapped at the factory for 95 RON, putting 97, 98 or 99 in should make no significant difference...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #41 on: 24 July 2013, 10:59 »
Then they nip down to the supermarket and put in the cheapest and nastiest stuff possible. No thanks, for the sake of £50 I'd rather full it up myself and know from the outset the engine is getting the best start to life.

Makes no odds to me - there is no proof that more expensive fuel provides better performance and prolongs engine life.  I've been using supermarket fuels in my Mk5 GTI for years, and it has been as reliable and consistent as ever.  Make sure you drain what is in your tank first though, don't want that premium stuff getting contaminated!
you sure about that  :undecided:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/high-octane-equals-better-mpg

Interesting...

The Astra VXR; does Vauxhall recommend 98 RON?

The point is, it depends on what the car is mapped for, if it is mapped for 95 RON putting a higher octane rating should not give you more power, or better fuel consumption.

If you put 95 RON in a car mapped for 98, I would expect to see what Autocar found... the car backs off the timing to avoid detonation (pinking) and the less optimum settings result in less power and greater fuel consumption...

So, if the Golf is mapped at the factory for 95 RON, putting 97, 98 or 99 in should make no significant difference...

Read about the interesting octane debate here corgi:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256832.0
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 27 July 2013, 11:57 »
Just checked my new car and it had 7.8 miles on the clock which I don't think is too bad