Author Topic: Golf R-Line  (Read 4231 times)

Running Man

Re: Golf R-Line
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2013, 23:44 »
Yes.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2013, 09:40 by Running Man »

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2013, 09:50 »
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2013, 10:13 »
Am I the only one who thinks its looks sweet?

Is this like in between the reg Golf and the GTI/GTD's?

It has a nicer rear diffuser than the GTD and I think I prefer the front bumper as well!

I agree, for what it is I think it looks really nice.  The front bumper and fog setup is a bit more understated, which suits the manner of the car quite well, although I prefer the bumper on the GTI/GTD.  Definitely agree on the rear diffuser, and in fact, if I were after a frugal, sporty looking Golf, I'd probably get one of these with a more efficient diesel engine over a GTD.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2013, 10:40 »
I'm a bit peeved the R-Line gets the same tail lights as the GTI/GTD. Chips away at our exclusivity.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2013, 10:46 »
I'm a bit peeved the R-Line gets the same tail lights as the GTI/GTD. Chips away at our exclusivity.

Well, I guess you could certainly mistake it for a GTD at a distance.  But, if I'm honest I couldn't care less about other Golfs that share some similar external aesthetics.  At the end of the day it's not a GTI or GTD!  It's like buying an old Toyota MR2 and slapping a Ferrari-style body shell onto it.  Looks are only skin deep!

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2013, 10:55 »

I agree.

I large part of my decision to go for a GTI is that it stands out from the regular Golfs (though not too much).  The GTI/GTD just became a teeny tiny bit less desirable to me.  So well done there VW. :rolleyes:

Offline Kingsley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2013, 12:37 »
I've read that there are no immediate plans to bring the R-line to the UK, it is Euro based at the moment. I can't recall earlier versions of the R-line in the UK either, though may be wrong? If this is the case then I'm not really bothered personally. I think it looks a bit more aftermarket than the GTI/GTD anyhoo.
Carbon Grey GTD on order

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2013, 13:36 »
Exactly and it just cheapens the R brand which is a big shame.

Audi do the S-Line and they are not exactly in the RS league are they?

People who know cars will be able to tell the difference.

Oh and it makes for some fun in trying to obtain OEM non UK parts for mods!

« Last Edit: 17 July 2013, 13:38 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2013, 13:39 »

Agreed - it devalues the GTI, GT and R badges.

Why not just extend the GT badge across a wider engine range, and make it a bit sportier?

I hope it doesn't make it to the UK!
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2013, 13:46 »
I hope it doesn't make it to the UK!

Really doesn't bother me at all.  Why would it?  I didn't buy the GTI just for its exterior appearance.