Author Topic: Seems the Mk 7 GTD/GTI is taking business away from the Scirocco  (Read 4421 times)

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
If the Gold can match the cornering ability of the Scirocco then I will switch.  I'm the sort of person that drives relatively sensibly in straight lines, but can't resist hammering it hard round a juicy roundabout.

That is the main reason I went for performance pack, not because of the extra BHP, but because I am of the belief that the slip diff will help lay the power down when pulling fast out of corners.

Either way, I will have the choice of two amazing cars to drive :D 

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
My other idea is let the GF have the new Golf (she has a Mk 6 Golf 1.6 at the moment) and keep the Scirocco for myself and then drive the Golf myself as a treat.

This is the craziest bit! I would be getting out in the new Golf as much as possible. The golf will be losing out to the Scirocco only in looks IMO. I'm sure it will drive noticeably better and then the kit it comes with will be a huge plus too. The scirocco is an old Golf with a nicer looking body and ACC to smooth out the really poor road surfaces when you set it to "comfort".
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
I know it is crazy, I can't control my emotions - I love the Scirocco!

I'm sure I will give it up if the Golf is as good as I expect it to be.  I'm amazed that anyone can tell the difference between the various ACC modes, leave mine in normal mode all the time.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
There still seems to be a lot of love for the old Rocco within the V-Dub community which is great to hear :grin:

Even with all the clones around it still looks gorgeous in the metal. Best looking car I've ever owned by a country mile. Will be very sad to see it go when I sell privately before the GTD arrives.

I know deep down I won't simmer over my new mk7 as I do the scirocco. It's just not as svelte -- the new GTD/GTI has a much more butch stance. But that's not why I've made the change  :smiley:  its all the new tech, powerful torquey diesel on MQB platform, 62 mpg and £30 a year to tax. That's a tasty combo alright.

Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR