Author Topic: DSG Air Intake  (Read 4673 times)

Offline SI74

• I live here
DSG Air Intake
« on: 13 January 2013, 22:25 »
Time wise was about 3 hours from total start to finish.

I accept no responsibility for your failures..  Proceed at your own risk.

First of all I'd like to say I forgot to take some pics so thanks to the people that let me use theres.

Tools I used where a socket set, a few different sizes of screwdrivers, dremel, sand paper, junior hacksaw and some sealant. I did this back in November so I think thats all the tools I used but there might be more.

You will need 3 parts and the part numbers are......

1J0 805 965 EB 41 - cover for behind headlight
1J0 805 962 GB 41 - Air Duct
1J0 129 609 G        - Intake snorkel pipe

Pic of all 3 parts

Reason for the mod is the air intake path on a Mk4 Golf/Bora is very small. Air comes in through the grill in round behind the front right hand headlight into a snorkel which carries the air into the bottom of the air box. In the pics below you can see the difference in the the size of the parts.

The entry into the snorkel looks like this (stock on left, R32 DSG version on right):

These two pics of the snorkel shows you the difference in size.

So lets get started.......

I removed the front bumper (took about 10mins) and it left me with this

Remove the 4 screws in the cover that sits behind the headlight. The right side one is required, the left one gets replaced. Remove the battery cover as well.

I then removed the headlight.

Removed existing airbox, top of battery box (including fuses) and battery. Remember when removing a battery that you disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal first.

Remove bottom of airbox. It's screwed to the battery tray as well as the strut tower. At this point I also removed the battery try. Four screws in the bottom of it hold it down and the snorkel. It's screwed to the side of the car.

This should leave you with a nice open space in the front left corner of your engine bay. So you can remove the plastic shielding/Air duct from behind the headlight. This is secured in place with three split pins - the easiest way to deal with them is to punch their centres right through, and then pull them out. It's possible to reuse them (this is what I did) but it might be a good idea to get some replacements. In the pics below it shows you where there at, 2 up top 1 below.

And that's everything that I removed. Time to start reversing the process and getting your new parts fitted.

At this point I started to smooth out my air box using a dremel and sander paper. I only done the bottom part but will do the top soon.

You will also need to take the DSG intake pipe and traced around it on the air box to cut out a bigger hole so it fits. (thanks Roachie for the pic)

Replace the plastic shielding/air duct behind headlight with the three split pins. Pushing the bottom split pin through is a PIG - I found it easiest to do by reaching up from under the car.. Fit new snorkel loosely. Wiggle room needed for later installation of airbox. Refit battery tray. Refit new bottom half of airbox. The snorkel has to slide into it, you'll have to twist the airbox into position. Line it up using the two attachment points (one's on the battery tray). Once it's in, screw it down, then tighten the snorkel attachment nut (you'll need a spanner, no room for a socket).

Once I was happy with the shape of the snorkel in the air box I sealed it to make sure it had no gaps.

Replace battery/battery box/fuse box/etc. Negative terminal of battery gets connected last and the top of the air box.

I then got got to work on the bit thats at the start of the intake by using the dremel, sand paper and junior hacksaw. There can be a lot of dust so you may want to get the hoover out.

Replace the headlight, plastic guards that enclose the headlight assembly (the new one you got) Battery cover and front bumper.

Thats the job done, sit back and tell yourself how amazin you are for doing all the above..lol

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps some one out. As all ways C&C welcome and feel free to add away to this H2.