Author Topic: image stabelization  (Read 1366 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
image stabelization
« on: 06 November 2012, 10:08 »
Got a cannon dslr. am i right in thinking the only dofference between the one with and with out image stabelizationis the lense?

I.e i bought the one with out stabelization however can be a bit of a pain sometimes if im not using a tripod or something to steady the camera. therefore i could buy a lense with image stabelization right? Or is there something in the body thats different too?

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: image stabelization
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2012, 10:39 »
Just the lense on Canon.

Are you talking about the kit lens? IS wouldn't make a great deal of difference at 18-55mm. It is useful on longer lenses.

What exactly are you having problems with? If you can show us an example with the settings used we may be able to help. My guess would be you're using a shutter speed that is too slow, so raise the ISO/open up the aperture (smaller f number).

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2012, 11:06 »
general rule of thumb is;

hand held is fine for a shutter speed upto 1/focal length

e.g. on a 10mm lens you can hand hold upto 1/10 on a 50mm 1/50 100mm 1/100 and so on.

As Tim says stabilisation is only really needed on the longer lenses, increasing the ISO should be the first port of call if you're struggling and then aperture.

You can increase the aperture size first but this will affect the depth of field in the shot, changing the ISO can produce more noise (can be cleaned up in PP) so it's your call.

But to answer the original question, yes all you need is an IS lens (this will allow you about 2 stops less).

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2012, 11:07 »
yeah normally when i feel i need it i have got a slow shutter speed due to bad lighting (dark nights and all) been having quite a small f number and the iso right up and still had to have a relatively long shutter speed which is giving a slight blur, nothing massive just occasionally a few pics have been ruend, and cant really tell untill im home and get the pics up on a larger screen.

probly didnt help that it was bloody cold so was shivering  :grin:

might try find someone close who has a lense with image stabelising try and borrow it and see if it makes a difference  :smiley:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2012, 11:18 »
Image stabilisation is not a miracle worker, most shots at night will need a tripod. You could start by making sure you have a good posture when taking a shot, feet about shoulders width apart etc. This will make your hand steadier and you're more than likely to nail the shot. 

Maybe you should invest in a tripod rather than an IS lens.   :wink:

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2012, 11:20 »
what lens are you using?

If it's the kit one then it's going to be slow, add the 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 to your christmas list as those lenses are quick enough for night time low light shooting as well as being great lenses for walking around with.  I'd say 35mm more so for a crop sensor.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2012, 14:02 »
Image stabilisation is not a miracle worker, most shots at night will need a tripod. You could start by making sure you have a good posture when taking a shot, feet about shoulders width apart etc. This will make your hand steadier and you're more than likely to nail the shot. 

Maybe you should invest in a tripod rather than an IS lens.   :wink:
yeah always have good stance when shooting.

was looking at getting a cheep tripod, any recomendations of a light one thats reasonable? dont want to pay the earth.

and will look into a 35mm lenge ridg

cheers guys

Offline DubFan

• I live here

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2012, 16:06 »
Good spot. I may get one to keep in the car.