Author Topic: Is a tiguan any good after a mk6 ?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline bcarlin

• GTI forum regular
Is a tiguan any good after a mk6 ?
« on: 04 November 2012, 08:02 »
I've been looking at a tiguan r line. Has anyone had one or would it be a bad move from a gti

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Is a tiguan any good after a mk6 ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2012, 12:13 »
I suspect The Doc and Steve30 will be the best ones to answer this. :smiley:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2012, 12:51 »
I would have thought they were like chalk and cheese? I've driven the 140 r line and thought it was a bit gutless so perhs push for a 170 and you'd have a result? Never owned one but I love the look of the r line.

Offline Arena8

• GTI forum regular
  • "A mans a man fur aw that"
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2012, 14:31 »
The Missus has a Tiguan Sport 170bhp 4motionwith leather interior and Im in the ED35.

Obviously 2 very different motors. Theres plenty of grunt from the 170bhp and as the car that it is, I really like it and enjoy driving it but no way you can compare to a GTI.

2 things thats bothers me with the Tig is the very notchy gearbox, VW says its typical of the 4 motion, either way it aint slick so nothing like GTI. The other is you need to be belted up to even get the car to move, you can't quickly jump in to move on the drive to wash etc. You have to belt up or electronic handbrake wont release. Thats a pain.

I enjoy having both cars in the family but even an 'R' Tig is cosmetic over the Sport but same engine so i dont expect it to be so different that i would say GTI to Tig is an easy and smooth transition of car choice

Edition 35 * Deep Black * RNS 510 Sat Nav * ACC * Park Assist with camera * Luxury Pack - Folding mirrors * Sunroof * Coloured DIS * ED35 Dice* Interior LED bling* ED35 footrest* 35 rear badge* Mudflaps- fronts customised fit

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2012, 21:55 »
....2 things thats bothers me with the Tig is the very notchy gearbox, VW says its typical of the 4 motion, either way it aint slick so nothing like GTI. ...

Just like my GTD gearbox is now.  Its horrid in the freezing cold.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mjp

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2012, 07:15 »
I have an Ed35 and a 2.0TSi DSG Tiguan. The Tiguan is a lovely family car. It is quite thirsty though. It has enough power and has a 7 speed DSG box. GTi vs Tiguan? Guess it all boils down to what you want in a car.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2012, 10:42 »
My Mrs last car was a Tiggy R-Line DSG, car was great but the ride was terrible for us as a family car.

We sold it at a profit and bought a brand new Yeti 4x4 DSG 140TDI which is pretty much fully loaded (Pan roof, xenons, nappa leather electric memory driver seat, sound pack, auto self park thing etc) but with standard wheels for £25k after some haggling  :wink:

Gearbox is fine in DSG on both cars btw

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2012, 16:05 »
Never driven a Tiguan, but my mum has a Freelander which is exceptional at doing pretty much everything, as long as you take it for what it is. 

Mind you, a Tiguan isn't exactly going to be a hot hatch, so you need to ask yourself whether you want a 4x4, that brings its benefits as well as drawbacks compared to your ED35.

It's obvious why Freelanders are so popular when you live with one.
Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS

Offline bcarlin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2012, 17:26 »
Ive got a 2005 range rover just now that I'm going to sell and maybe get a tiguan r line for me or between us. I'm unsure what to do

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2012, 19:30 »
The Missus has a Tiguan Sport 170bhp 4motionwith leather interior and Im in the ED35.

Obviously 2 very different motors. Theres plenty of grunt from the 170bhp and as the car that it is, I really like it and enjoy driving it but no way you can compare to a GTI.

2 things thats bothers me with the Tig is the very notchy gearbox, VW says its typical of the 4 motion, either way it aint slick so nothing like GTI. The other is you need to be belted up to even get the car to move, you can't quickly jump in to move on the drive to wash etc. You have to belt up or electronic handbrake wont release. Thats a pain.

I enjoy having both cars in the family but even an 'R' Tig is cosmetic over the Sport but same engine so i dont expect it to be so different that i would say GTI to Tig is an easy and smooth transition of car choice

DSG Tig all the way get the 140BHP or the 170 map it and you have high rise Golf 4WD. I wasnt sure at first when I bought it tested it about 4 times great motor love it, the map transforms car.

Tiguan quicker than the Golf