Author Topic: Advise on setting up my own graphic design business  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Advise on setting up my own graphic design business
« on: 29 October 2012, 21:02 »
Hi all,

So I've been wanting to set up my own graphic design business for quite some time. I feel I am now at a stage where I feel confident enough not only in myself, but also my work to warrant moving forward with this decision.

My problem is, I haven't really got the foggiest on where to start.

I understand things like making sure I stick to a strict schedule each day for working hours. I understand about marketing and there a plenty of tools about now to do this online, outside and basically everywhere. I have the equipment I would need to do what I want to do and I have the space at home.

My lack of knowledge however is how to actually go about setting up a business, what needs to be done when starting up, during and things I need to look out for.

Any advise would help here.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Advise on setting up my own graphic design business
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2012, 21:11 »
Right, I kinda do this for a living at the moment and I have got it down to 3 key things... all really f**king simple.

Watch this and he will show you how its done and what attitude to have...

http://dolectures.com/lectures/why-you-should-have-a-party-everyday/

This how how you get paid and cover your back

http://vimeo.com/22053820

And this is how you get money, just answer the questions

http://www.barclays.co.uk/StartUpSupport/Writingasmallbusinessplan/P1242559649359

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2012, 23:26 »
Do you have any clients at the moment?

Anyone who will come with you if you leave?

Your client base is everything in this, if you're going to go with it.

Small business plan would be essential.  It used to be Business Link - not done anything like this for a while, but you need to find where you can get Government sponsored set up advice - most impartial you will get, unlike that from the secondhand money salesmen (or banks as they like to be known).
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2012, 07:50 »
Do you have any clients at the moment?

Anyone who will come with you if you leave?

Your client base is everything in this, if you're going to go with it.

Small business plan would be essential.  It used to be Business Link - not done anything like this for a while, but you need to find where you can get Government sponsored set up advice - most impartial you will get, unlike that from the secondhand money salesmen (or banks as they like to be known).

Im fairly sure business link is still going but as DH said it's all about your client base & getting new clients, my sister & brother have run their own graphic design, web design & marketing company for some years now & have small & large clients but my sister works bloody hard getting the work in & then you also have to work just as hard getting paid by the larger companies.

Make sure you have enough money to last the first year as the first year is usually the toughest.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2012, 11:33 »
if you have the skills and the confidence shady then do it... although its bloody hard

business link is where its at

you'll also need to notify HMRC that you're self-employed and take appropriate action according to what business you want to run..

https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/setting-up

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2012, 13:21 »
Drop Bazmcc a PM on this he might be able to answer some of your question.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2012, 03:58 »
Running your own business is not for everyone...

You have to have a certain mind set & the biggest thing to me is that "You only get out  What you put in!"

Working all the hours god sends and not having a client base is just a waste of your time and talent..

Having "one" client and putting all your eggs into one basket is doomed to failure in the long run...

IMO work for someone else and learn the basics and then start on your own and maybe steal a few clients - once you have their trust.... But Play it by ear - sort of...

Good luck if you do try it...

It's never easy..

Despite what people say...

« Last Edit: 31 October 2012, 03:59 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2012, 04:04 »
P.S. Cash Flow will always be your biggest issue & don't really on ANY of the High Street Banks...

They are all as bad as each other!!!

I Can Tell You From Experience & I Now Find My Own Finance!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2012, 10:37 »
business link is very helpful. However in your shoes I'd start doing freelance work ontop of your current job and building a client base, at least then you will get use to dealing with different aspects as well as get a feel for things and iron out things you may have not thought about in your early business plan, think of it as more of a pilot to see if it really works out for you. Once you find you do not have time for both jobs then consider pouring all your time into a business if its the way you want to go.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2012, 21:38 »
business link is very helpful. However in your shoes I'd start doing freelance work ontop of your current job and building a client base, at least then you will get use to dealing with different aspects as well as get a feel for things and iron out things you may have not thought about in your early business plan, think of it as more of a pilot to see if it really works out for you. Once you find you do not have time for both jobs then consider pouring all your time into a business if its the way you want to go.
best advice by far. All the other bits add up but make sure you can do the long hours and that you have a small following and word of mouth. Graphic Design is such a saturated field of work. So many freelancers that don't know jack from cack. But if its what you want ensure you have the funds for the first year as already said. And good luck :afro:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi