Author Topic: Harry's "BORING" Project - Mk3 GTI 16v  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
Harry's "BORING" Project - Mk3 GTI 16v
« on: 22 July 2012, 19:50 »
Me and a couple of mates are planning a road trip to Nurburgring and Wolfsburg next year, and this MK3 GTI 16V came up for grabs off a mates uncle and it was too good to say no too!

this is how I picked it up and for only £250!

PROS
-80K engine put in two years ago
- OMP Exhaust
- 40mm springs and shocks
- hella quad lamps

CONS
- slight rust
- front shocks completely gone
- needs new brake discs an pads all round
- has rocker cover gasket leak
- tax til end of july
- mot til end of aug

has 172k on the clock but has had 80k engine put in about 2 years ago after the cambelt went on the first one according to my mates uncle, got the receipts to prove it, so she's probably on around 90k atm as it was only used as a run around town.

came with an OMP exhaust,engine start button, hella quad lamps, and lowered on 40mm springs and shocks, got given 80mm springs with it, so not a bad little project.

there is some slight surface rust but nothing too major!

the first thing I did was bye bye rear seats!

then did some spraying

the front shocks were gone completely so i quickly ordered these up

then mate dropped off some BBS VR6 wheels that Im buying off him for £80 :)

Picture of the gasket leak after i looked at it today

we're not plannning on going to nurburgring until next year so its just a working progress really at the moment as ive already got a daily mk4 golf.

Plans
-bucket seats
- fit coilovers, (coilover missing one spacer so couldnt fit them :cry: waiting for shop to email back)
- fit vented discs and brembo pads when they arrive
- fit the vr6 alloys, still deciding on what tyres to wrap them in 195/50/15s (toyo proxe 4s, yokohama prada spec 2s etc.) what do people recommend?
- fit new front wing thats in my garage!
- order some bucket seats and harnesses
- OMP struts all round
- give it a full service and new cambelt
- thinking maybe uprated cams?
- if i win the lottery order up a brenner super charger  :cool:

tell me what you think

harry

« Last Edit: 23 July 2012, 13:42 by Hazuk »

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
Re: Harry's Nurburgring Project - Mk3 GTI 16v
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2012, 19:52 »
also I'm bit of a Instagram Nut!

my username is: Hazuk, check it out

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2012, 06:41 »
I think what you've done in 'preparing' to go on a European roadtrip to the Nurburgring is about a million miles away from what you should have done.

Going to do an organised track day, or to drive tourist fahren?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2012, 07:52 »
I think what you've done in 'preparing' to go on a European roadtrip to the Nurburgring is about a million miles away from what you should have done.

Like the man has just said hes going next year. He aint said hes about to pull off the drive to go today. Give him a chance before making negative comments. Wish you luck pal.

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2012, 07:53 »
What should I of done then buddy?

I've sorted the suspension out, (which needed doing for the mot)

And sorted the brakes out (again something that needed to doing for the mot)

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2012, 07:57 »

Like the man has just said hes going next year. He aint said hes about to pull off the drive to go today. Give him a chance before making negative comments. Wish you luck pal.

Like bissone said I'm not going until next year, this is also my first proper project and I don't earn a bomb.

I've only had the car a grand total of 1 and a half weeks

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2012, 12:11 »
First step - decide what you're going to.

Second step - if you're doing TF find an insurer who will cover you.

Third step - make sure you've got about £2k available in your finances to cover you for any barrier payments, if you lose it on track.

Fourth step - replace any worn or perished bushes on your suspension, as the track will trash them.

Fifth step - get some replacement OEM quality, or above suspension.  Those look like £150 coilovers which will be failovers for ride and handling.

Sixth step - replace discs and pads with OEM quality or above items, change brake fluid for new.

Seventh step - resolve all oil leaks and change gearbox oil as well as engine oil.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic.  You need insurance that actually covers you on TF, or to find a track day.  After that you need to make sure your car can actually drive the track safely.  Putting 'Nurburgring' in the title of your build thread is a bold statement to make.  Have you been before, or would this be your first time out there?

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2012, 13:41 »
First step - decide what you're going to.

Second step - if you're doing TF find an insurer who will cover you.

Third step - make sure you've got about £2k available in your finances to cover you for any barrier payments, if you lose it on track.

Fourth step - replace any worn or perished bushes on your suspension, as the track will trash them.

Fifth step - get some replacement OEM quality, or above suspension.  Those look like £150 coilovers which will be failovers for ride and handling.

Sixth step - replace discs and pads with OEM quality or above items, change brake fluid for new.

Seventh step - resolve all oil leaks and change gearbox oil as well as engine oil.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic.  You need insurance that actually covers you on TF, or to find a track day.  After that you need to make sure your car can actually drive the track safely.  Putting 'Nurburgring' in the title of your build thread is a bold statement to make.  Have you been before, or would this be your first time out there?

First step - I have decided thanks

Second step - already have

Third step - pretty sure that's why you get track insurance

Fourth step - planning on uprating all bushes to powerflex bushes

Fifth step - that's why I got new suspension

Sixth step - again I've already ordered new discs and pads all round! As I said need it for the mot and I'm going to be giving it a full service! Again I'm not going for another year!

Seventh step - again I'm already going to fix all the oil leaks, I'm not going to just drive 600miles with a leak

I'm only going to nurburgring for a bit of fun, I'm not planning of getting world record times! Just a good road trip and a bit of fun! As we are also going to visit Wolfsburg and the vw factory there!

If I was going to think people were going to be so petty about my title I would of put it as "boring mk3 bit of fun car"

I'm hardly being bold, just stating the fact that I'm planning on taking it to nurburgring, I'm not saying hey I'm Michael Schumacher and I'm building a mk3 that's going to smash every car on the track!

I appreciate your comments but based on the fact that's this is just a bit of fun and you can take anything round the ring, you don't need to be a well.. D!?@k

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2012, 14:40 »
OK, I'm not being a dick about things, but you strike me as rather naive and your answers are highlighting that more.

I'll ask again: Are you planning on driving on a track day, or tourist fahren ('public' sessions)?

Offline Hazuk

• Not said much yet
Re: Harry's "BORING" Project - Mk3 GTI 16v
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2012, 15:26 »
Probably the public session, I came on here to post updates of my car and get advice, not to be insulted.

Fair play if you know your stuff,  but this is only a bit of fun and on a budget.