Author Topic: Broken new Mk V GTI  (Read 8242 times)

Offline aahgolf

• Not said much yet
Re: Broken new Mk V GTI
« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2005, 08:42 »
Here's the latest update. The local dealer now think the problems are caused by a faulty brake light switch. The rationale is that this microswitch was closing randomly, making the ECU think that the ESP needed activating (as it detected wheels apparently moving at different speeds due to a braking input), and the ECU, when this is severe enough, will retard the ignition a lot to reduce power. The service manager has experienced the loss of power himself and he could alleviate it by lifting up the brake pedal so that the switch contacts were not closed. The power loss was so severe that I had to pull onto the hard shoulder three times last Wednesday, i.e. not enough power to even get 30mph.

The new switch arrives today and I have a meeting with them this afternoon. I am not totally convinced by their logic, but I'd rather it were a mechanical thing than some weird electrical problem that could never be properly found. I am also expecting an update on when they could get me a replacement car to the same spec - but I think we all know how long that will be!

More later...
Steel Grey 05 GTI, 3 door, manual, MFD2, 6-CD, sunroof, parking sensors, winter pack/heated seats, lux pack 2, folding mirrors, Koni FSD

Offline arcadia

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2005, 03:48 »
You really should reject the car under the Sale of Goods Act (however, I know that this option doesn't exist forever - you'll need to check exactly).

You have spent a LOT of cash to get your hands on this car - and lets face it, its one of the most desirable at the mo! Long and short of it though, you don't have the product that you have paid a lot of money for. A product needs to be 'fit for the purpose in which it was intended....'. Yours most certainly isn't!

If you speak to your local Trading Standards Office and outline your case, I'm sure you could get some proper representation. I have had loads of problems with my MK4 GTI TDi, and the dealers attitude was pathetic until you went out of the loop and bought the big boys to the table. You say you've got things in writing, this will help put your case across. I doubt very much that any arbitrator in such a case would not rule in your favour! Either that, or give those lunatics on Watchdog a call, might even open some doors for you!!

Let us all know how it goes.

Offline John Goldick

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2005, 18:58 »
Build quality seems to be going down on Golfs since the mk4  :angry:

Offline aahgolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2005, 14:21 »
Latest update: It's been working fine for 2+ weeks and more than 1000 miles. So it seems it was the brake light microswitch rather than some weird inexplicable ECU problem. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding compensation, as usual they have not written to me when they said they would. I had a definite promise of a reply by last Thursday, so it's business as usual for them. They have also not phoned back when I left a message, which is typical.

What makes all this worse is that given that it was something so simple in the end, it makes waiting nearly 4 weeks for a new ECU a). seem ridiculous and b). a waste of time given that they could have looked for something else rather than just wait for a part that in the end was not needed.

I'm happy with the car, now it's fixed, but not at all happy with the experience of spending > £20K of my own money...
Steel Grey 05 GTI, 3 door, manual, MFD2, 6-CD, sunroof, parking sensors, winter pack/heated seats, lux pack 2, folding mirrors, Koni FSD

Offline rega3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2005, 18:32 »
Like most dealers they are the best in the world up till the point they have your money in their bank account.

Aftersales service is the true test of how good a dealer is- glad you got it sorted though. :smiley:

Offline aahgolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2005, 12:08 »
Here's the final update on this topic. Car is still running fine, very quick and very economical and a brilliant drive. Anyone seen the article by Chris Harris in this week's Autocar?  - "The best car you will ever own". I had to push the dealer several times to write to me with their compensation offer, which I have finally received and am happy with. I won't discuss the details on the board as it's a private matter, but they stepped up to the mark.  :smiley:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2005, 12:12 »
Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted out.  :smiley: I hate reading threads like this because it makes me really want a mk5 when you read and hear what is being said about them. Enjoy.  :grin:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2005, 12:35 »
Nice one mate; glad you're finally getting to enjoy it!! You jammy g!t!!  :tongue: I'm like you Gibby; really want one too, just got no chance of affording one!!  :cry:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2005, 12:41 »
I'm aiming for one in a good few years time though, but they'll probably be "retro" by the time I get to afford one.  :cry:
......now officially dubless.

Offline rega3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2005, 13:08 »
Here's the final update on this topic. Car is still running fine, very quick and very economical and a brilliant drive. Anyone seen the article by Chris Harris in this week's Autocar?  - "The best car you will ever own". I had to push the dealer several times to write to me with their compensation offer, which I have finally received and am happy with. I won't discuss the details on the board as it's a private matter, but they stepped up to the mark.  :smiley:

Good to hear that the car is going well for you, I've put about 2k miles on mine now and enjoyed every one of them.  Must check out that Autocar article. Hope the dealer looked after you well. :smiley: :smiley: