Author Topic: back to a mk3 !  (Read 4692 times)

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2012, 23:03 »
If that much rust is considered rat look then most mk3s on here are rat look  :grin:
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline search

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 898
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2012, 23:14 »
not keen on this one just looks more like someone likes brown paint but hey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251080357434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_4072wt_1185
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2012, 23:22 »
This is an intentional rat look ..(my opinion)
It doesn't have to look completely knackered or totally mad maxed out to be a rat!!!

Like I said "depends how far you take it"....this one just hasn't gone too far....

So does that mean if I take off my plastic arch covers so you can see the rusty bits iv treated but not got round to painting yet and popped out my fog blanks my car would be a tast full rat ride? :undecided:

Offline 67buggers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 727
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2012, 07:51 »
There is a common misconception that tatty is ratty... It's not it takes a lot of work to get a good looking rat look car. People give a bad name by calling a tatty car rat look. I personally love hood ride/ratlook but that's just me. ...


I fix iPhone's and iPod's, I can fix most faults call me on 07811344816 for a quote

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2012, 08:19 »
oh i agree i do like the rat look. but where it belongs on old hotrods, campers and beetles. not on anything newer.
i really cant see how it takes alot of work to make one tbh. what hard work are we talking about?

Offline 67buggers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 727
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2012, 13:30 »
A true hood ride or rat look car isn't just a piece if sh!t that has been left to rot, the whole point is that the car is mechanically and structurally sound meaning that most people spend a lot of time and effort getting all the under the skin stuff to show condition. It then takes a lot of time making sure the outside look of the car is right too, just in the same way as building a nice shiny car does..... I have build both looks now, granted on beetles and a hotrod, but the hood ride was more work and got more looks. I agree that newer cars don't suit the look as well but there are some brilliant examples of modern hoodride cars out there still.


I fix iPhone's and iPod's, I can fix most faults call me on 07811344816 for a quote

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2012, 13:33 »
Rat look does not work on modern cars :smiley:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2012, 17:02 »
A true hood ride or rat look car isn't just a piece if sh!t that has been left to rot, the whole point is that the car is mechanically and structurally sound meaning that most people spend a lot of time and effort getting all the under the skin stuff to show condition. It then takes a lot of time making sure the outside look of the car is right too, just in the same way as building a nice shiny car does..... I have build both looks now, granted on beetles and a hotrod, but the hood ride was more work and got more looks. I agree that newer cars don't suit the look as well but there are some brilliant examples of modern hoodride cars out there still.

more looks does not mean they was looking thinking mmmmm nice car. they were probably thinking WTF

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2012, 17:22 »
never knew this forum was so closed minded










Oh wait yeah I did  :rolleyes:
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: back to a mk3 !
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2012, 17:32 »
im not closed minded i just dont see the point of putting all that hard work into making a car show standered under the skin but to make it look tatty on the outside.

as already said yeah they get alot of looks but i bet the drivers of the rat rides miss read the looks as people thinking its cool rather than what they are actually thinking.

i remember when i first started seeing the rusty bonnet look. it was on some really nice car but a rusty bonnet and i never understood why they felt the need to do it.

its like going out and buying a really nice armani suit then flicking sh!t on it and walking around thinking it looks good.