Author Topic: smoothing bumpers.  (Read 4386 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
smoothing bumpers.
« on: 02 June 2012, 14:45 »
is there a guide to smoothing bumpers on here anywhere? got myself some colour coded bumper and want to have ago at smooting them. what the best method?
keeping the indicator holes (well may change my mind) but what the best way of smoothing them?

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2012, 15:17 »
You mean smoothing the top part or smoothing the whole thing top to bottom mate?


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2012, 15:57 »
You mean smoothing the top part or smoothing the whole thing top to bottom mate?

actully smoothing the hole thing top to bottom. think i will lose the indicator/fog holes aswell.

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2012, 16:01 »
Not a fan of completely smooth. Number plate recess is ok. It takes away the mk3's look and alway cracks if its not plastic welded.


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2012, 16:04 »
thinking about it i dont mind the top part not smoothed as it matches the line of the side mouldings. but was to loose the indicators holes and i aint bothered about the numberplace bit as i will be keeping the numberplate so basicly just the indicator/fog holes.

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2012, 16:27 »
To smooth indicators, you'll need a rear bumper to cut sections out to plastic weld in.


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2012, 16:31 »
To smooth indicators, you'll need a rear bumper to cut sections out to plastic weld in.
ok cool and then what do i do?
cut the bit that matches the shape then do i fibreglass them in from behind then plastic filler the front and smooth off?

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2012, 16:49 »
Google is your friend  :wink: 2nd one down

http://bit.ly/N6dZ2l



Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: smoothing bumpers.
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2012, 16:50 »


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose