Author Topic: More than just a car.  (Read 3374 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2012, 18:11 »
this is gona sound really sad but everytime i put my car in the garage for the night i have a routine of saying night gorgeous  :embarassed: :grin:
and in the morning a say morning gorgeous  :grin:

keep a car feeling good and they treat you good just like a woman  :wink:
although it is easyer to keep a car happy  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2012, 18:45 »
Future classic in the making. In about 5 years or so once all the rot boxes have been crushed. They are the perfect car just now I would say, cheap to run and maintain, reliable, second hand parts in abundance and available for pennies. What more can you ask for in a car. I have to say this though as i've just spent 2.5k rebuilding my 8v  :sick: :cry: :sick:


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2012, 19:00 »
Just had a long day at work, tired and pi55ed off but got in my golf opened the roof put some tunes on and booted it out of the industrial estate and up the road in to the countryside on the way home....felt instantly better... :smiley:

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2012, 20:10 »
Excellent post Gav.

Mine got me to Warrington from Southampton this morning without missing a beat. (Tempting fate maybe - but I have AA 'return to base cover' now... LOL) I feel proud of it.

The car makes me want to clean and polish it. Dream about replacing all the moving parts with new (yeah - dream on sadly). And fix all the rust patches (probably do-able). It has been forever since I felt like that about a car.

And forever since I had a car I wanted to look at reflected in shop windows as I drive past...

It might not have the power of a 16V but peak torque is at 2,800 rpm - exactly where I want it - instead of a screaming 4,800 rpm. The 16V is ultimately quite a lot quicker but the 8V is always involving and a pleasure to drive no matter where it is or what it is doing.

 




Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2012, 20:40 »
I love my 8v GTI!
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2012, 19:50 »
I just got 46.6 mpg door to door from Warrington to Hedge End this afternoon. 60 mph average speed so not going stupidly slow. Traffic was heavy but moving steadily all the way.

And I definitely have a 2.0 8V engine before anyone starts...

What a car!   :grin:

Offline Shady Pioneer

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,669
  • graphic designer.
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2012, 20:53 »
Loving the love for the MK3!

As some of you know I am now on my third MK3, I have invested quite a lot into this Anni due to maintaining it and wanting to keep it standard. I wouldn't have it any other way, they are brilliant cars that more often than not, do what they are supposed to without much issue.

Admittedly I'd like some more power in it but for the most part they are good solid cars. Just need to find the right one, and I have, she's called "Ruby". :cool:


Offline GolfGL

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 679
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2012, 20:54 »
Wheres the facebook like this button:-) in my whole 16miles of owning my gti 8v i have spent two weeks under it inside it and outside it getting it back to its former glory. i really like the way the 8v goes, it has decent low down torque and gets me along quick enough. the satin silver isnt as nice as my dragon green gl but as a pacjage its much better.
Adam
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline Itteh

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Built Not Bought
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2012, 02:29 »
Yep, i cant agree more with what all you guys are saying.... I am a proud owner of a Mk3 Golf Gti 8v 1997 anawll, even though im 19 and have had the pleasure of driving Ferrari's, Porsche's the Range Rover Cosworth RS600, The Rolls Royce Phantom Drop Head and every other supercar you can name that have been customised by Project Kahn in West Yorkshire. I still look at my car every day whilst clicking the remote control for my cat 1 alarm, and smile like im getting into the best car in the whole world. 

My GTI will be back on the roads of Dewsbury in less than 3 weeks, I cant wait ! The excitement is going to kill me !


Offline MattJAbela

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
Re: More than just a car.
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2012, 07:42 »
Mate, i do the same with the misses thing lol. Shes like why cant you pay me that much attention then is in a mood when i give the car attention lol.

They really are an amazing car. And your situation with your mate getting one sounds perfect, i need mk3 golf friends lol

well if your anywhere close to luton always welcome to come see me   :wink:

Only an hour and a half away lol..maybe one i will :)

Properly fell in love with mine last night, could not stop smiling!!!! Fitted the full leather interior anda set of audi pepperpots and ohhhhh myyyyyyy!!!! It actually looks amazing!!! Took it to the petrol station and had people asking me and chatting to me..and the best bit is, my mate who owns a gorgeous nissan s14a said he's actually jealous ;) LOVE IT!!!!