Author Topic: Oil light flashing  (Read 1248 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Oil light flashing
« on: 27 April 2012, 13:48 »
Ok probly stupid question but is it normal for the oil light to flash when ignition is on but to go out as normal when you start the car?
I can't remember if my last mk3s did this or not.

Offline negawsklov

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
Re: Oil light flashing
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2012, 13:53 »
Just checked the wifes and it never did it.. but then again the car battery is in the garage charging up..  Probably not alot of help to you really.....    :smiley:

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Oil light flashing
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2012, 13:58 »
My (8v) comes on (no oil pressure) but doesn't flash.

I think the flashing is "really no oil pressure" alarm?  Its a two stage alarm (I think), and I think it buzzes as well, when its critical?

??

J
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline trog_nfs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Re: Oil light flashing
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2012, 14:01 »
Mine comes on with the ignition, flashes once when I start the car then goes off. My old 1.4 always did the same.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Oil light flashing
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2012, 14:22 »
On mine if I turn the ignition on the oil light just keeps flashing. Then when I start the car it goes off.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Oil light flashing
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2012, 14:45 »
The early type dash was diffrent, they would flash sometimes,  where as none of the later ones did unless it was low pressure or another non start fault.  I have never noticed if ALL the older dial moduls did it, but i know a few of mine did,  but i have never seen a new style module doing it unless its been cranked for a while.  On constantly is self test, flashing is oil pressure,  possibly the early type just didnt have the self test stage.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!