Author Topic: Barley's BMW 520i £333 banger rally mobile!  (Read 11626 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Barley's BMW 520i £333 banger rally mobile!
« Reply #30 on: 04 June 2012, 17:40 »
Nice bit of progress today!

Autoglass came to visit and kindly replaced our cracked windscreen for free.  Top guys! :afro:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2012, 12:07 »
?

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2012, 12:37 »
Lol, that was Alistair I believe, I wasn't there when they did it.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2012, 22:48 »
Yeah, we could have normal or with a green tint at the top.  We went for tint as it's more expensive and we weren't paying!

We've got to MOT it this month.  Got a sinking feeling...  :undecided:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2012, 23:28 »
Well the beemer is taxed and insured, going in for her MOT and service on Wednesday.

Today we decided to take her out for a good run to see how she would perform.  We set off from Crewe, Cheshire, and headed towards Wales for some exciting roads.  We headed over to the Evo Triangle, some amazing scenery around there!  We did a circuit of the triangle each, so much fun!  Then on the way back we went down the horse shoe pass.

All in all we covered 183 miles and the car didn't miss a beat.  On the road the steering is responsible and there's good feedback.  We tried throwing it around some corners much faster than we should, no understeer or oversteer, it just going around or slides completely.  For a big fat estate it's really impressive, there's no body roll at all.

Engine and gearbox performed fine.  It's an automatic so obviously not perfect, yet was more than enough to propel us around the twisty roads with vigour!  We did a LOT of over taking and again, she took it in her stride.

The best part is after all that driving we got out feeling like we'd barely done any distance at all.  She just eats up the miles, the perfect touring car!

« Last Edit: 23 June 2012, 23:37 by bobbarley »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #35 on: 25 June 2012, 10:59 »
Looks great mate  :cool:

Sell the Golf and keep that!  :tongue:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 25 June 2012, 18:08 »
I did consider it.  It's not fast enough though and has no ISO points for a child seat.  I hate automatics too as a general rule.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #37 on: 25 June 2012, 19:49 »
I did consider it.  It's not fast enough though and has no ISO points for a child seat.  I hate automatics too as a general rule.

Seatbelt seats are just as good as ISOFIX; you just need to know how to fit them properly.  Linzi has a child seat safety day on Thursday so we'll get the full info  :nerd:

Its quite scary how many people fit the seats incorrectly  :sad: or are unaware that the seat is not even suitable for their car

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 25 June 2012, 20:02 »
Using the seat belts absolutely did my head in, I was fuming after a few attempts.  Seat belt just isn't long enough and getting it in and out was a nightmare.  Every time you try to get it round it locks then will only retract not pull out.

ISO is at least a million times quicker and easier.  Plus it seems safer, taking no risks  :smiley:

A BMW Touring is a serious contender for my next car though, it's only competition is an A4 Avant.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2012, 20:06 by bobbarley »

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #39 on: 25 June 2012, 20:39 »
Look at the A6's too, more legroom and available in diesel if you so wish :wink:

I'll be adding ISOFix to the Passat because it does make things easier.

Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.