Author Topic: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Armyphil

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
  • Running a mk3 GTI and an 1981 T3 Westfalia
Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« on: 04 April 2012, 07:04 »
This is killing me now, it's been on an ongoing problem now for months.

Basically between 1.5k and 3k so cruising speed the car develops and bad misfire. This misfire shakes the car violently.
It also has the worst flat spots I've ever felt.
The car idles fine

As soon as you floor the throttle it disappears or if you release the throttle. But as soon as you touch it the misfire returns.

I have changed the
Plugs
Leads
Air filter
Fuel filter
Coil
Number 30 relay
Number 167 relay
Even removed the head and check valves
Cleaned throttle body out

So could someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers all

Phil

1998 Mk3 gti 8v
1981 T3 Westfalia running a 1y diesel

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2012, 10:12 »
maf sensor ?.I had same problem on an 8v a while back.Cleaned the sensor and it was sorted.

Offline Armyphil

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
  • Running a mk3 GTI and an 1981 T3 Westfalia
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2012, 10:26 »
Sorry should have said MAF sensor, it works and cleaned up.

I'm stumped now to what it is?
1998 Mk3 gti 8v
1981 T3 Westfalia running a 1y diesel

Offline gasketface

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,237
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2012, 12:06 »
Hall sensor,dizzy ?

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2012, 23:13 »
You did all that and didnt check the rotor arm and dizzy cap first? :rolleyes:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline twotwofour

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 225
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2012, 18:36 »
Watching with interest as mine sometimes has the same problem.

Without reading the forum I first thought it felt like an oil breather issue and some of leak. Perhaps a pipe collapsing under crank pressure thus causing a vacuum starvation to the Ecu.

I can't find anything though.

---------------------------------------
Mk2 small bumper 16v 3dr golf gti
Mk3 5dr 8v golf gti x2
Need a mk1 gti, mk1 caddy, mk3 vr6

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2012, 18:42 »
I dont see a coil pack on that list of things replaced.  :wink:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2012, 20:58 »
I dont see a coil pack on that list of things replaced.  :wink:

I do! :rolleyes:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Misfiring/hesitation at mid range revs
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2012, 09:41 »
Now i do  :grin:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!