Author Topic: Next problems, strong fuel smell, losing water above gearbox.  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Dangerouslyhotdave

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 16
I can see some water dripping just above the gearbox, there's a sensor then 3 bolts, seems to be leaking there, cornflake box repair good enough to make it seal?

Then there's a strong fuel smell, vents closed and it still getting me, windows down and it's stronger, windows right down and i can just about breath fresh air.

I can hear a rasp, manifold gaskets I think, does that sound about right? Or is there another commen fault causing it. Was looking down the fuel lines but they seem dry.

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Hi, you dont say what engine it is,  but if its a 1.8, 2.0L  or crossflow 1.6,  There is a Bakelite sort of flange which bolts to the side of the head with two bolts,  attatched is a coolant hose, there is also one on the front of the head,  these tend to crack and leak.  Replacement items are cheap and takes little time to change.

As for the fuel, is it a burnt exhaust fume sort of smell or is it petrol vapour?   If the manifold is leaking, it will certainly smell,  Not uncommon to get cracks in the manifold, leaking crank case vent pipes will also cause a bad smell.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline Dangerouslyhotdave

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 16
It's the 8v gti, smell is raw fuel, at first I thought I had an exhaust blow but with the smell of petrol hitting me I'm thinking inlets gone. I looked down the fuel lines for fuel while running, I'll have a better look in the week.

This and the coolant leak seem to be my last faults.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Could be an injector seal ?

Offline Dangerouslyhotdave

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 16
I'll give them a Butchers too.. I looked along the fuel rail an it seems dry, but the problem with petrol is it doesnt hang around long..

Offline Dangerouslyhotdave

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 16
Fuel smells coming from the boot.. Opened the flap and it seem ok, where does the tank breath to? I think it's the heat getting to the tank and it's not venting correctly.

Offline Gti_Jamo

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,109
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
There is a round panel held with three self tapers under your boot carpet. All the pipes including the breather can be seen and checked from there mate. The breather itself returns to the engine bay and into a charcoal canister located down behind the bumper on the front drivers side.


97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Dangerouslyhotdave

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 16
Nice one, I did hunt around the boot and found that smelling of fuel.. Lowered the tank and made sure there was no holes etc, pulled the mud off the filler overflow.

Opened the sender and made sure that was sealing ok. When I put the cap back in I put sealant on it to rule out any problems there, the boot one, not the sender.

I'll pull that front vent apart tomorrow.

The water leak was the hose on the side of the head all corroded up, a clean up and seal.

I'll see how the fuel smell goes, there's a blow under the car that needs sorting again.