Author Topic: A Wolf in Sheep's clothing?  (Read 62886 times)

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
Re: A Wolf in Sheep's clothing?
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2012, 21:15 »
Thanks Andy.

I really wanted to achieve something, rather stealth like. I think the alloys are the greatest addition and they were the cheapest too  :sick:

The only exposed mod which I think looks truly cool, is the whopping great discs and racing pads on display.
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2012, 00:21 »
Yeah the vented disks are a nice look. I wish I never looked at this thread now though because you've made me want some black monza's.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2012, 00:54 »
Looks good. So what power do you think you are running? And are you on the std clutch?

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2012, 07:15 »
@Mr. Savage

Anthracite finish on Monza's looks the biz. £240 for the whole set, plus a repair kit. Can't beat it!

@Scott

I should think the car is probably around 260-270bhp mark and yes I'm running a standard clutch. I'm yet to have the car tested on a rolling road, but I'd be surprised if it was massively different either side of the figure I mentioned. I think once you get into the realms of 300bhp+ then you need to start thinking about a big, uprated, clutch kit.
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2012, 13:49 »
"The car has the most incredible power delivery, with a non too raw linear surge all the way up to 47mph in 1st gear alone, accompany that with a solid 2nd gear capable of a smooth and yet relentless delivery of torque, all the way along to 71mph in roughly 6.1 seconds"

I must revise my figures slightly. 1st gear takes you to 41mph and 2nd gear to 67mph in roughly 6.1 seconds.

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Weeeebz

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2012, 09:34 »
Brilliant looking car mate...best colour also  :wink:

Love the colour coding, sets it off perfectly!
Mk5 VW Golf GT 170

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2012, 18:04 »
very nice... and above all very subtle  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline fransnz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2012, 21:28 »
Very nice looking car.
05 Black GTI DSG 5 Door.

TeddyKGB

« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2012, 22:20 »
Looks good dude... and a hearty thank you for tin-potting the VXR :laugh:

Get yourself some OEM bolt covers for those rims

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2012, 19:24 »
@ Oops my bad - No worries on tin potting the VXR, I can't stand the bloody garish things! Also where can I fetch some decent OEM bolt covers dude?

@ Weeeebz - Cheers buddy. I've always really liked the colour on the mk5, going back to 05/06. I honestly feel as though VW were short changing, mk5 Gti customer's, by not colour coding the rear bumper, side skirts and front skirt.

@ R32UK - It's all about the 'stealth' dude. I love having a relatively standard looking Gti, knowing that there's an extra hidden gem under the bonnet. Never had a whistle of trouble from the 'old bill' and so far all trouble free miles. By the way your Gti looks fab too dude. I love those kind of alloys and if I couldn't have found a grey Gti, my next choice was black. It looks so sweet polished up!

Anyway, thought I'd bring your attention to the latest addition made to the Gti. Four brand spanking new, Avon ZZ3's. These tyres put simply, are the business! ZZ3's are British made road/race tyres, specifically designed for hatchbacks weighing between 1000-1400 kilos and specifically designed to suit our milder and colder climate. They offer maximum feedback in the wet or dry. And they never stop giving. Twice already I've been hanging it round corners and thought to myself, "oh sh!t, this is it" and with even more turn in, I've hit the apex, the car begins to realign, I give a stiff prod of the accelerator and in an instant, I've forgotten the last corner and am fast approaching the next. And at less than £110 per tyre, including fitting, I ain't complaining! Having covered 3,500 miles already, I can accurately, guesstimate that if swapped front to back at 50% wear, then I should see 13 to 15,000 miles from a set. Not bad considering they get totally abused and mostly on winding, country roads. I suspect that if treated with the respect they deserve, they would probably yield 25,000 miles plus.

I recently drove a mk6 Gti, belonging to a friend. The car has been remapped and has a full stainless exhaust system. It puts out a respectable  250bhp. And even with a brand new set of P-Zero Rosso's, at a whopping £135 per tyre. They were nowhere near as grippy or as planted as my ZZ3's. I was fortunate enough to drive the car in both wet and dry conditions, such is the weather by the coast  :huh: and although they were good tyres and were relatively compromising in the dry, when the rain fell, they went to pieces and the car was, at times, undriveable under acceleration. Not something I was used to with the Avon's! Oh, and my friend, Pete, the owner, has only clocked 5,000 miles on the tyres so far and yet they've only got 2mm left on the front :cry: I'm glad he'll be picking up the £540 bill every 7,000 miles and not me!

One other thing I'd like to touch on is the matter of burning oil. Having just recently had a full service, some 1,500 miles ago and having just had 4.5 litres of Mobil One's finest dumped into my b!tch. I can testify, that whether it's cheap Unipart oil or £20 a litre race oil. My car will still burn a litre every 3,000 miles regardless of quality. Have any Gti owners has similar traits with their cars? Is this completely standard for the GTI?

I must say that when I had my service, I had the FORTE engine flush and oil treatment, run through the engine. And I cannot believe the difference. The car is now cleaner on idle, at low revs, under acceleration and has found an extra 2 or 3 mpg over the course of a tank. I've also noticed far less build up of carbon on the tailpipes of my exhaust...Bonus!

I also had my Yellowstuff pads, cleaned up at the service. They suffer badly from, heavy brake dust and sometimes a build up forms on the face of the pad, much like varnish or paint, builds up on sandpaper. The difference was more than noticeable and a more than worthwhile investment.

I replaced the battery in the car too and immediately found that 'starting' the car, was now a much crisper and more pleasant experience. And whether or not it's psychosomatic or not, I feel as as though the whole electronics package is working far more competently and with more gusto than before.

On a different tangent altogether. I finally managed to achieve a timed 0-60mph run. It was a cool, dry day and the time was exactly 5.66 seconds. Although that was with a passenger and I may have mentioned before that I weigh nearly 300lbs  :laugh: It was done on the 'Slapton Sands' road in Devon. I can also confirm that the top speed of the motor is roughly 164mph. I ran out of bottle, truth be told, but I don't think she had much more to give. Although I'd like to boast she's good for a 170mph. I'm extremely pleased that for a few grand, we've managed to wipe 1.5 seconds off the 0.-60mph time and increase the top end by 20mph. And best of all, the car is still so drivable! If you want to pootle around, then fine, please carry on. It's also good for 33-35mpg when being driven like this!

There's only one car thus far that has embarrassed the Gti on the country roads and that car is the Caterham! It's in a league of it's own that car, I swear. The Gti is easily in the range of Bmw M3's, Impreza Turbos and entry level 911's and yet it looks so standard by comparison. For me that is the biggest appeal of this car, by a country mile!

Finally, as far as I'm concerned, my most important and most treasure modification, are the uprated brakes. They're a 'must have' for anyone who has increased power beyond standard. I feel extra safe, knowing that my brakes will take me from 60mph to 0mph, one whole second quicker than the standard Gti does the same feat, with some 70bhp less! Imagine standard brakes, on a Gti, that has got an extra 70bhp or so. That time would be increased further still  :sad:

Anyway's enough ramblings. Let us know what you think and your own opinions. I would be really happy to hear from y'all. Peace out.

« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 22:45 by MS1COYS »

292bhp / 287lbft