Author Topic: MPG  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: MPG
« Reply #30 on: 21 March 2012, 20:24 »
38mpg, 43mpg..

My rubbish golf (edit: with an awsome gearbox, boy and head unit) must be broken then, if I could afford the fuel, or stand the road noise or put up with the stupid standard map I'd take it to Vw.

Do you have the climate control on at all times? my mpg takes a nose dive when i turn mine on.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Will@carbon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 21 March 2012, 20:36 »
Good point thanks but no it's off all the time.
I don't believe in global warming, sorry.
How are speed bumps legal?
I dislike lorry drivers who block lanes in traffic.
All burglars must die slowly ASAP.

Username

« Reply #32 on: 21 March 2012, 20:55 »
filled my car up yesterday at corbridge shell garage, which is usually more expensive as its in the country.

was running on fumes (0 miles on MFD) and it took £80! 149.9p a litre for v-power. when i first got the car i could fill it for around £65-£70. and its going up again in the summer! fecking tories. :sick:

At the risk of sparking politics, ya can't blame Tories, lefties created a major mess and it's getting cleared up. I'm just grateful I'm in a position to moan about such things.

Username

« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2012, 17:33 »
50.4 mpg @ 2100 revs in sixth, doing around the speed limit ish in commuter convoy !

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #34 on: 24 March 2012, 20:06 »
I averaged iirc 43 on a trip up and back to Scotland a few months back on twisty A roads. Not bad for a car like this suprised mates who went with me.
My car is used as a daily commuter all its miles in past 2 years have been done like this except its trip to Scotland and back. Commute is a 14 miles each way through a centre of town and includes 34 sets of crossing or traffic lights !! I have averaged 34mpg total excluding the trip to Scotland.

It's all about driving style though as there's been loads threads on here before and it varies quite a bit depending on style and environment. I regular see 40-55 on the computer average in a morning in my way to work but the average drops on the way home. :evil:
Mr snoopy.

You must never ever ever ever put your foot down ever to get the mpg that high. I can see 35 on a b road drive slowing and gentle speeding back up but the second I give it some stick it drops to 25 at best then take another 20 miles to get over 30. I see quite often 10 mpg and that's not even trying to break the little golf its just having fun in my gti.

I might be wrong but that's how fsi works, it's very economical when your driving like an oap something like 1 part fuel to 27 parts air but when you boot it it turns into a cosworth style lump doing 1 fuel to 7 parts air. Don't quote me on that by the way it's what I've heard.
Its in a line of traffic doing 30ish on the way to work in a morning. Due to the amount of traffic lights and crossings its not worth lots of overtaking etc as you will just get stuck at one set of lights or the other. I have learn't over the years on this 14 mile route that it does not make any difference driving like a nutter over taking everyone (when you can which is rare) as it just meens you end up 1-2 maybe 3 car lengths ahead at most by the end of the journey and not really much time better off. You can time alot of the lights apart from about 5 sets in the centre of town which due to the emergency services override don't time the same each time. I just go with the flow of the traffic on the way there which seems to be more or less the same cars each day.

Ive posted this photo before and it would have been better figure if i had not stopped for fuel as the next bit of the journey is on a 50 road. rather than the 30s

As i said theres a differrent route i take home as its not congested on the route home but is early in the morning and this has quite a few 60 stretches on it so i do put my foot down a few times so my average on the way home is lucky to hit 30  :evil:
As i said my total average over the past 2 years is nowere near the figure shown for the average to work as i do have some fun with the car.  :cool:
« Last Edit: 24 March 2012, 20:20 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.