Author Topic: Buying a 16v - what to look for over an 8v  (Read 14839 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Re: Buying a 16v - what to look for over an 8v
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2011, 19:00 »
You're all beginning to worry me now. My 8v has been totally reliable and now it seems as if I'm about to jump ship into an unreliable dog!!!!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2011, 19:18 »
You're all beginning to worry me now. My 8v has been totally reliable and now it seems as if I'm about to jump ship into an unreliable dog!!!!

Think most of it is just banter....

A good 16V can be just as reliable as an 8V - is just getting one that is properly set up & sorted & keeping it that way!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2011, 19:28 »
Everyone one knows the 8V is the poor mans 16V's :lipsrsealed: LOL Okay the Rallye was the pinical of the 8V, but the 16v limited should have gone into the Rallye! :grin:

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2011, 21:00 »
My guess at the reason 16v's can be little less reliable is that you CAN  drive them fast so people do! ie 6500rpm... 8v's doddle around at just above idle  :tongue:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2011, 21:55 »
My guess at the reason 16v's can be little less reliable is that you CAN  drive them fast so people do! ie 6500rpm... 8v's doddle around at just above idle  :tongue:

Or just lazyness in maintaning them!
The only thing I hate about 16Vers is that it relies on so many vacum and breather pipes, but if it goes down its usually an easy fix than a ECU issue on the Digipants.
The only win for 8vers are the idle fuel control its bang on and saves big time on money compared to a 16ver.
The Kjet was a good design in the day the more air to fuel you feed it, the faster it went! :evil:

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #25 on: 24 November 2011, 20:14 »

Or just lazyness in maintaning them!
The only thing I hate about 16Vers is that it relies on so many vacum and breather pipes, but if it goes down its usually an easy fix than a ECU issue on the Digipants.
The only win for 8vers are the idle fuel control its bang on and saves big time on money compared to a 16ver.
The Kjet was a good design in the day the more air to fuel you feed it, the faster it went! :evil:

Jay has hit the nail on the head here,if you look after a valver and maintain it as it should be maintained then it will be pretty much trouble free,i always pre empt stuff on mine and replace it with new (genuine where possible) before it fails,all be it mine is a second car for the summer months but I've had her for coming up 9 years now and I'll hopefully have her for 9 more,you will be amazed at the cars old and new that a 16ver will either have for breakfast or give a run for there money,a few choice mods (a four branch being one) and you have a rocket ship with character thats guaranteed to make you smile,if you have found a good one and you plan to properly look after it then you will not be disapointed  :cool: AMEN!
« Last Edit: 24 November 2011, 20:15 by Reasty »

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2011, 19:29 »
Well I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of an oak green valver (so need to change my signature). Driving it home it seemed all is well. Bodywork is amazing and it just seems like a new car compared to the 8v, and that was good. Significantly quicker but, cos it's been lowered, significantly stiffer. To the point where I might one day put it back to original springs. But on bodywork alone it's an absolute winner.

I'll post pictures when I get round to it

Offline MBChB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 26 November 2011, 19:35 »
Nice one!

Where in Leeds are you? Might see you in my black 5dr valver round town one of these days.
'89 Golf GTI 16V & '02 Beetle V5 Sport

Offline kahunajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 26 November 2011, 20:44 »
Get the pictures up.  :smiley:
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline andykram

• I live here