Author Topic: Who's running a Bluefinned mk6?  (Read 14400 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Who's running a Bluefinned mk6?
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2011, 16:23 »
Thanks Mike.  :smiley: :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2011, 16:36 »
Gilly I've had a few REVO maps in the past with no issues and they've delivered the goods promised. But I don't always want to do the same thing twice. Nothing is perfect.
Custom maps aren't always all that custom, they're tweaked generics (been there and done that in the past) as it would be far too much hassle for a tuner to completely de-code an ECU and write a full on map for a specific car for a few hundred quid.
REVO and Superchips/VW Racing have run mk6 GTIs over significant mileages so you do have a fully tested product.
There's not a hope in hell I could get up to Doc's before next summer unfortunately, just too many commitments and it'd be a 10 hour round trip.  :sad:
time.

I would imagine quite a few are using generic maps, although the company I sought out did invest quite alot of time on their mk5 map, and would not doubt deliver for the mk6 also.

I know from experience they do write their own maps, as they currently have a tigra running 560hp  :shocked:

... No doubt goign with the usual providers would be the best route although liek yourself I am interested to try someone elses map at some point  :cool:

Offline Spin 150pd

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2011, 17:10 »
Gilly I've had a few REVO maps in the past with no issues and they've delivered the goods promised. But I don't always want to do the same thing twice. Nothing is perfect.
Custom maps aren't always all that custom, they're tweaked generics (been there and done that in the past) as it would be far too much hassle for a tuner to completely de-code an ECU and write a full on map for a specific car for a few hundred quid.
REVO and Superchips/VW Racing have run mk6 GTIs over significant mileages so you do have a fully tested product.
There's not a hope in hell I could get up to Doc's before next summer unfortunately, just too many commitments and it'd be a 10 hour round trip.  :sad:
time.

I would imagine quite a few are using generic maps, although the company I sought out did invest quite alot of time on their mk5 map, and would not doubt deliver for the mk6 also.

I know from experience they do write their own maps, as they currently have a tigra running 560hp  :shocked:

... No doubt goign with the usual providers would be the best route although liek yourself I am interested to try someone elses map at some point  :cool:
What about a company called Evolve - HQ is in Luton and they have dyno dynamics etc and I believe they do indeed write their own software.  I have used them twice for BMW tuning and have run both cars for 40K each with no issues just a super smooth map,  may be worth investigating,  alternatively the above advice sounds good,  if they can tune a tigra to that level a nice smooth map should be easy :)
Carbon Grey 3 Dr GTi, AP racing BBK,  ITG Intake, Milltek Race TBE & Revo Stage 2+ (sold) Replaced with 2010 S3 Sportback

"Fast Cars are safer.."

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2011, 17:14 »
This threads been slaughtered wasn't this about bluefin?  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2011, 17:34 »
This threads been slaughtered wasn't this about bluefin?  :grin:
Don't worry Doc, it's on the second page now so long overdue an off topic subject or two  :grin:
We'll soon be back on to homosexuality and tomatoes ...

Luton might as well be in another continent as me. I've got family that live that way that I've never visited thanks to the stratospheric distance and my laziness (besides they're a bit posh and I wouldn't really fit in).
I f'kin hate driving any distance these days, I'm too tired from shiftwork and the roads are full of too many people that have forgotten what the Highway Code is between the Sunny South West and Outer Luton.

Still, it's all good reading and I'm learning as I go ...  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Jimmymature

« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2011, 18:21 »

Andy, I gave JKM a call a month ago due to their reputation and they do the three major chip companies - Bluefin, Revo and APR.

I found then nothing but completely and utterly helpful, they talked me through each option and the pros and cons of each.  With a top draw rolling road they seem to tick my local tuning company boxes.

I'm going to pay them a visit in November after my car has its next service, after my visit I will be driving home with one of the three solutions  :evil:

I read that APR allow you to control the different setting through the Cruise Control which sounds cool.

We might to meet up down there Andy and get a discount  :laugh:

Jim

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2011, 18:25 »
well at least people haven't started to get their handbags out yet over which is best/whos dad is biggest/which shade of grey is prettiest etc...

staying on topic - I'm seriously considering a bluefin once my car has a few more miles on (I'm only on its 3rd tank of fuel ATM).

i am also considering a milltek cat back in the future (xmas present most likely) - so if i installed bluefin and at a later date fitted the cat back system would i need to change to the stage 2 map or would it run good still? i have a pipercross panel filter fitted but won't be going down the COI route.

i had a good razz up to alston a few days back and really like the car but the power curve is a little strange to what I'm used to. the torque is good but its weird how the power just stays flat thru the RPM's - my 197 needs to live between 5000-7500RPM where the golf is best between 3500-5500 IMO - anything above is a waste of time.

i would like a remap for more power thru the rev range but also for a bit more of a top end surge... not sure if this is possible with a low pressure turbo car with no serious mods.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Jimmymature

« Reply #17 on: 25 October 2011, 18:26 »
how much is the VWR remap? my local dealership do the R conversion 265bhp for the golf for £1400 inc remap, filter and exhaust

anyone know how much just for remap?

Just the remap is £599 but it's one written by Revo unlike the MK5 version which is supplied by Superchips (Bluefin) Apparently it's slightly tamer than the Revo pushing out 250.

Jim

Jimmymature

« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2011, 18:32 »
well at least people haven't started to get their handbags out yet over which is best/whos dad is biggest/which shade of grey is prettiest etc...

staying on topic - I'm seriously considering a bluefin once my car has a few more miles on (I'm only on its 3rd tank of fuel ATM).

i am also considering a milltek cat back in the future (xmas present most likely) - so if i installed bluefin and at a later date fitted the cat back system would i need to change to the stage 2 map or would it run good still? i have a pipercross panel filter fitted but won't be going down the COI route.

i had a good razz up to alston a few days back and really like the car but the power curve is a little strange to what I'm used to. the torque is good but its weird how the power just stays flat thru the RPM's - my 197 needs to live between 5000-7500RPM where the golf is best between 3500-5500 IMO - anything above is a waste of time.

i would like a remap for more power thru the rev range but also for a bit more of a top end surge... not sure if this is possible with a low pressure turbo car with no serious mods.

With a cat-back it won't impact the stage one from what I've read. If you go down the turbo-back route and/or stage 2 remap you'll need to do a number of other changes such as air induction kits etc.

Again, I'm sure the real experts will come along and correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

Jim

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2011, 19:07 »
Been running mine for 18 months - love it.
It takes 5 minutes to switch between the original map and the superchips one, I do restore to the orignal now and again for dealer visits, snow and the odd occasion the wife drives it. :cry:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=153656.msg1409840#msg1409840

Make sure you inform your insurance, some won't insure you but most will, expect an increase of around £100.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.