Author Topic: Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!  (Read 100426 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
What it is the purpose of the factory metal heat shields?

Keep exhaust temps up? protect the floor pan?

:huh:

Well the tunnel heatshield's main priority seemed to be attempting to rot out the tunnel but yeah basically its to protect it from heat getting into the cabin.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
What it is the purpose of the factory metal heat shields?

Keep exhaust temps up? protect the floor pan?

:huh:

Well the tunnel heatshield's main priority seemed to be attempting to rot out the tunnel but yeah basically its to protect it from heat getting into the cabin.

So in that case I can scrap the F*ckers then   :evil:
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
So in that case I can scrap the F*ckers then   :evil:

Yeah.....i'm only doing away with the tunnel one and the shield that wraps the downpipes. Unsure about the bulkhead shield as its a bit scabby and wont look nice in my new engine bay.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
You thought about the diesel one with the sound deadening matt on it aswel? Mite not look too bad black against the white bay? Just a thought  :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
You thought about the diesel one with the sound deadening matt on it aswel? Mite not look too bad black against the white bay? Just a thought  :smiley:

Going to the dealers today to pick up a few bits so will see if a new one is cheap enough.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
 :shocked:

Not cutting any corners on this then!... 

Will be a very solid car when done.

Not really a fan of MK3's but you obviously are and you seem to be very thorough so far.  Hats off to you.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60

Not really a fan of MK3's but you obviously are and you seem to be very thorough so far.  Hats off to you.

Cheers mate....To be honest wasn't a huge fan, more of a Mk1 or Mk2 fan but was looking for a project and this came up first. They have grown on me though during this build because the way I see it if your an gti fan and want the old skool look with some modern touches then the Mk3 is the best all rounder. But prob look to do a Mk2 or maybe a raddo next. The Mk3's more of a test run  :grin:!!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.

Cheers mate....To be honest wasn't a huge fan, more of a Mk1 or Mk2 fan but was looking for a project and this came up first. They have grown on me though during this build because the way I see it if your an gti fan and want the old skool look with some modern touches then the Mk3 is the best all rounder. But prob look to do a Mk2 or maybe a raddo next. The Mk3's more of a test run  :grin:!!

Fair play.. good testing so far then. Get a fleet going, Finish this then apply the same work to a MK2, then a mk1!  :grin:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60

Fair play.. good testing so far then. Get a fleet going, Finish this then apply the same work to a MK2, then a mk1!  :grin:

Well thats the plan. Probably need to sell the Mk3 to fund next project though as ive spent way over than I would have liked to.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
As Shaun says, very thorough job and hats off to you for the job you've done. Problem is with spending so much on this project, you won't make it back. You will more than make up for it in experience and confidence though, so don't be disheartened by that. Raddo next, you know it makes sense!  :grin: :wink:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |