Author Topic: Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!  (Read 100482 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Jamo's Mk3 8v Project - REAR ARCHES DONE
« Reply #30 on: 22 October 2011, 08:03 »
Cracking work :afro:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Jamo's Mk3 Gti 8v Winter Rebuild Project
« Reply #31 on: 25 October 2011, 20:51 »
Finished off some work to the bottom of the OS rear door. All the other doors are mint with no rust bar this one and was affected by it on both sides although no holes.

The seam sealer on the inside that bonds the skin to the door basically came away with a swift tug so ground down all the rust, treated with some killer and a couple of smearing with fibre glass and filler.

Ran a new bead of sealer..

A final rub down and some primer. As you will have seen during my thread I have been just brushing this on many areas ive worked on. It will rub down nice and smooth come proper primer time and saves me masking everything off for now.

Flipped the door over and finished off this side. Again was loads of surface rust so grinded it all down then used my spot blaster to remove what was left. Some fibreglass then filler.

Got a rattle can out for this side....

Another job crossed off the list!!
« Last Edit: 25 October 2011, 20:53 by Gti_Jamo »

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
Re: Jamo's Mk3 Gti 8v Winter Rebuild Project
« Reply #32 on: 25 October 2011, 21:22 »
Again fella nice job done there! Any idea when it'll be ready for paint yet? Keep it up :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #33 on: 25 October 2011, 21:43 »
Again fella nice job done there! Any idea when it'll be ready for paint yet? Keep it up :smiley:

Cheers mate! Doing the paint job in two stages, hopefully get the engine bay, the door checks on the body and the inside of that repaired door painted soon but the rest wont be done until all the underneath is done and the engine/subframe is all painted up and back in. Basically the exterior paint wont be done until everything else finished. Not doing the roof though as that has quite a good finish on it and no rust spots.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #34 on: 30 October 2011, 22:03 »
Decided i'm going to change the colour to vw alpine white although will be leaving the black roof. Hopefully get the engine and box out next week.

J.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2011, 07:11 »
Good choice man!  :cool:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #36 on: 03 November 2011, 19:11 »
Got some work done on the Golf this afternoon. First of all was to get the front end up in the air and remove the bonnet.

Then removed all the suspension and driveshafts, disconnected the steering column from the rack, removed gear linkage assembly.

Had a bit of an issue with how I was going to remove the lump from the engine bay as the car wouldn't go back far enough so I could hook up the engine hoist to the steel roof beam running the width of the garage. There is a room above in the loft to store parts so drilled some holes up through the floor and ran some rope round a couple of the wooden joists to support the front of the engine while I lowered the subframe down with a huge trolley jack. Worked out well.

And out she comes.....

Then began to strip the engine bay of al its bits. All brake pipes and ABS pump removed. Going to remove the servo tommorow hopefully so I can begin rubbing things down. Sooner I can get all this in primer the better as looking at it now it certainly looks like I have my work cut out.

A fair big job doing this but my biggest concern is putting it all back together but have meticulously took loads of photos as I go along and all parts, nuts and bolts, clips etc have been logged and stored seperately so I know exactly what goes where. Looks like I will be needing quite alot of new parts too in regards to the suspension as it was all seized solid.

Hopefully begin stripping the engine down for paint next week.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2011, 19:16 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 03 November 2011, 19:28 »
Any engine bay smoothing gonna be happening? Or mods in general?  :evil:

Offline Junior74

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 03 November 2011, 19:31 »
Wow!!! Just read this from start to finish, fair play mate and good luck...wish I had the talent to do something like this (and a garage like that :smiley:)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #39 on: 03 November 2011, 21:26 »
Any engine bay smoothing gonna be happening? Or mods in general?  :evil:

No smoothing as such but will sort out any area I feel needs it. Not sure about mods yet depends what the budget is at once i have got everything it needs.

Wow!!! Just read this from start to finish, fair play mate and good luck...wish I had the talent to do something like this (and a garage like that :smiley:)

Cheers mate, its all pretty simple aslong as you have the right tools to do it. Yeah the garage is spot on although my dad has a fair bit of gear in it which makes it alot smaller than it is.