Author Topic: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes  (Read 172300 times)

Offline MVP

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes
« Reply #300 on: 17 May 2008, 00:34 »
I have exactly the same problem to my VW caddy VAN its 1.9 SDI ometimes i get the oil light flashing sometimes not! is this a differetn fault as its a diesel engine or not??

Offline barbara

• Not said much yet
« Reply #301 on: 21 May 2008, 14:51 »

1. relay 30 (Hall sender relay) to be replaced
2. fuel relay replaced
3. crank sensor
4. distributer
5. throttle body dirty (clean it or replace it)
6. engine speed control
7. clean or get new oil breather pipe (and other pipes)
8. cam belt one notch out

many thanks for your help...

done most (apart from replaced relays...  - anyone know who I need to call to source them?)...  still stalling... - but, doesn't seem to be as much.  leaving it for the moment as it turns on immediately, bloody pain in the arse though!!

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #302 on: 21 May 2008, 14:55 »
I would just get them form your local vw. The ecu (30) one is £12 and the fuel pump (167) is £22. Give or take a few pence.

Offline barbara

• Not said much yet
« Reply #303 on: 21 May 2008, 16:42 »
I would just get them form your local vw. The ecu (30) one is £12 and the fuel pump (167) is £22. Give or take a few pence.

cheers, will do....

Offline justman

• Just got here
« Reply #304 on: 03 August 2008, 23:19 »
I had this problem :angry:

hi mr blue thanks for the pics it helped alot . looked at mine and found a split on the lead about half way up . just wanted to no does it clip in or is it bolted ? i havent taken it out as yet ,i have small hands may be able to reach it behind the oil filter if it can be pulled out. also has the crank sensor fixed the problem for good. cheers   

justaman trying to fix his gti

Offline barbara

• Not said much yet
« Reply #305 on: 04 August 2008, 08:46 »
I had this problem :angry:

Changed the Relay for a later white one....

still had cutting out problems. Changed the crank sensor (or pulse sensor). The wires were broken! :evil:

VW charged me £113 for a new one on trade! still flippin expensive :shocked:

You have to take off the engine mount bracket which longs your life out abit :angry:

Old against the new pulse sensor..

EDIT: went out for a long drive and it has not cut out yet (thank God)

How did you know it was the crank sensor, can you visibly see it prior to having to take it out???

Offline barbara

• Not said much yet
« Reply #306 on: 04 August 2008, 08:50 »
Just as an update.. - I replaced the fuel relay (number 167) to no avail.  I ordered the ecu relay at the same time, but the damn garage sent me number 109 instead..... - they said that my car didn't have the number 30 in it (I took it out and quoted the part number this time - should have done it straight away!!!!)...
fingers crossed this works, I pick it up tomorrow!
BTW - I have a feeling it might, because since I've fiddled with the relays my car has cut out more!!!!

Rob Needham

« Reply #307 on: 04 August 2008, 09:25 »
Barbera,

Im having very similar issues at the mo and like you its doing my head in, have you had your car plugged into vag-com?
Worth the money to get it done to be honest! saves changing parts that are ok!
issues with mine -
cutting out ( random stalling )
wont idle very well
wont rev past 5000rpm
had it vag-commed last week the errors - air mass sensor, lambda probe
changed air mass sensor -  started to rev all the way around to 6000rpm ( lasted a day!!! )
changed lambda sensor -  stopped the random cutting out!!!
change relays - 167 and 30 did nothing!
found some broken cables from the air mass sensor to the lambda probe, re-soldered think i wasted my money on the new lambda probe but ah well!
still not idiling or reving past 500o rpm... gonna get in plugged in again this week.

im sure this will be a very straight forward fix, lots of people seem to have had the same problem but no one really knows what it is!!!grrrrr. keep me posted if you have any joy!!!

Offline barbara

• Not said much yet
« Reply #308 on: 04 August 2008, 10:54 »
Cheers Rob,
I'll try the relay number 30 and if that doesn't work I'll do like you said - cheaper than changing the throttle body which is what my mechanic said (I don't think he really knew what was going on at all)....
I'll keep you posted (I would have written earlier but I lost the web page!!! - it was only when someone posted again that I got the address back - an easy web page to remember as well!).....
Mine just 'randomly' stalls when I come up to a stop... - but I don't have any other probs with the revs....  It idles at just under 1000 - but, drops to zero in a split second when stopping.

Rob Needham

« Reply #309 on: 04 August 2008, 12:22 »
yeah sounds very similar to mine! think my rev-limiter issue is another weird and wonderfull electrical problem....!! getting it plugged in on thursday and a mate who used to work at vw is taking a look friday! im pretty sure its not the throttle body tho, be a little carefull on what people suggest on forums! as i have found out the hard way, (spent sh!t loads of cash on parts that where fine) luckily i got a friend with the vag-com but even if you had to 50 bux its well worth it!