Poll

Which Package Should I go for based on "living" with them and the cost!

16" Steelies
6 (33.3%)
16" VW OEM Alloys
4 (22.2%)
17" VW OEM GT Mk5 Alloys
3 (16.7%)
17" VW OEM GTI Alloys
3 (16.7%)
17" After Market Package
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Winter Wheels and Tyres  (Read 61791 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Winter Wheels and Tyres
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2011, 19:35 »

I've been driving for years and never seen the need for winter tyres, this is a subject I can only read and think WTF?

Jim
Were you from? How was the snow.
I have been driving since 89 and before on private roads and never needed them either but the problem nowadays is simple. Its the width of the wheels, tyre compond, weight of the cars and power/tourque of the cars.
I managed to have no problem with the daihatsu with cheap normal tyres on this year but the mk6 just simply would not go. I was infact the only 2 wheel drive car out there a couple of the days as no one else could get out. I was one of very few who made it to work everyday even though i was coming from the highest point with the most snow and non treated or cleared roads. Driving skill and experience has a lot to do with snow driving (I went through the 90s winters etc) but modern cars with hard suspension, low profile summer compond tyres and tread pattern are simply dangerous and a danger to others imo.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2011, 19:38 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Jimmymature

« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2011, 19:41 »

I live in Berkshire, the snow was bad last year here but I just didnt go out  :tongue:

Lucky for me my commute is 2.5 miles so it's really bad I'll walk (taxi)

Jim

Offline Hartside

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2011, 19:46 »
Berkshire!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You want to get up where we live and then say you don't need winter tyres  :grin:
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2011, 19:55 »
In one thread I do remember seeing a picture of a Golf MkVI with steelies on but with genuine VW badge centre caps - looked quite cool (honest) but for the life of me I can't find it...

mAYBE?

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Jimmymature

« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2011, 20:02 »

You want to get up where we live and then say you don't need winter tyres  :grin:

No doubt mate, not saying others don't need them just saying I don't  :evil:

Jim

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2011, 20:12 »
Do you want looks or function. :undecided:
It depends how much snow you get were your at and how good your council is. Im on the border of two councils and so get no grit or road clearing. Last winter for 2 weeks of it the mk6 could not even get anywere near gettign out the village with 225x45x17 Vredestein Wintrac on were as a next door neighbours TDI got out with 205 winters on.
So if i had the choice again i know what i would go for as i decided from that point on the mk6 would not do any winter work and i would use my other car.
Sadly that cars has now died so the mk6 will have to be used this year unless i find something else and at near £1000 for winters for the other family car im thinking another car with small wheels and tyres for me and use the mk6 winters on the family car.

I'm in Yorkshire so do get quite a bit but I can travel to work on main roads etc and last year the council were very good with gritting and clearing. 
A big part of me getting the winter tyres is not just for the snow - where I live we are very high up so it does get a bit on the cold side and I know that the winters will perform better at near or below zero temperatures.

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2011, 20:15 »
I got a brabd new set of Mk5 17" VW Exis alloys at a good price last year and shod them with some 225 45 winters. The car performed really well, the only thing that became a problem was when the snow got that deep, the lowered front of the GTI started to act like a snow plough. At that time it was time to garage the GTI and use the wifes Yaris, which was also on winters

They look nice wheels - I know what you mean re snow ploughing - last year I nearly put a flashing orange light on top and got a job with the council  :grin:

Offline Pauly_G

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2011, 21:48 »
In one thread I do remember seeing a picture of a Golf MkVI with steelies on but with genuine VW badge centre caps - looked quite cool (honest) but for the life of me I can't find it...

mAYBE?

Good effort, but unfortunately not quite there!  It was a Golf with bare black steel wheels with a VW centre cap on each wheel...will keep on searching!

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2011, 22:24 »

mAYBE?

Good effort, but unfortunately not quite there!  It was a Golf with bare black steel wheels with a VW centre cap on each wheel...will keep on searching!

This one?

SteveP's photo in this thread

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=172854.50

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2011, 22:50 »

+ 1, last winter was horrendous I put on a set of contisport 18" winters and had no problems whatsoever.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.