Author Topic: The Datsun 240Z Build Thread  (Read 19860 times)

Offline IbanezDan51

• Not said much yet
Re: The Datsun 240Z Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2011, 14:19 »
Not updated this in awhile...

Some pictures!

Floor pans are all here to be welded in, will need to weld some of the front bulkhead up also, due to where the battery is orignally located I guess some acid leaked and corroded it, fortunately a flat plate... unlike this one I need to fab up:

Both front upper legs are pretty bad - you can buy them but I think they are salvageable! They arn't structural, they are known as the air tubes as this is where the cool air from the front of the car is fed into for the so called air-con on the original Z! Still has the little flapper things also!

And a rear inside shot:

Started work on the passenger side - floor pan and front bulk head out - got some strength in that before the sill was cut out so the car didn't fall in half [:$] Waiting for that sill to come from America - I do have the other side...in hindsight I should have started on that one....but I was a bit eager!

When doing the lower bulkhead I noticed some patches coming through where the battery tray would originally have been...not needing a battery tray in the front anymore decided it would be best cut it out...

Then started work on the front passenger chassis rail and front sill area- its pretty rotten but the main structure is still there so no need to replace the whole leg - if I had a jig already made it might be worth it...

The worst bit:

Will finish off the passenger side next week and start work on the drivers - the passenger sill will hopefully be here early next week...

Drivers to be done:

My new light weight doors came and the complete front wings will be here next week aswell so I can line the sills up properly...

They weigh LITERALLY nothing....just need some poly carb windows making up! Can leave that till last though...

And after that...

Both sills are now on, floor pans in, some work to do on the drivers front floor pan/bulkhead and trans tunnel...

Fiberglass wings and doors lined up roughly, passenger wing needs some work as its too far 'in' towards the door..

Next job is the rest of the frontal floor pan area and the start on the front chassis rails and airtubes I guess...waiting for the inner rear arches to arrive fro mthe states... Nearly 300 quid for 2 half inner arches!

Dan

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2011, 14:33 »
F*ck me that's rotten! Nice work so far though  :cool:

Nice garage too! Would kill for that kind of space!

Offline Misky

• Here all the time
  • MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!
« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2011, 14:45 »
I know its a while off yet but i bet you have thought of some colour choices!?
MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!

Offline IbanezDan51

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2011, 15:12 »
I know its a while off yet but i bet you have thought of some colour choices!?

Yup - the parts in fiberglass came in white because that is the most likely colour it will be - plus it was originally white. OR it will be going light green.

Dan

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2011, 15:50 »
I like this, looking forward to the next update. :smiley:
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2011, 16:04 »
I wish my welding was that good! :embarassed:

Great work Dan!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2011, 16:18 »
Can't wait to see how this ends up. I absolutely love these types of cars. One of my favourites has always been the RX-7 2nd Gen (The 'FC') but if I had the time and skill I think I'd plump for either a 240z or the later 200sx.

Genuinely wish you all the best with the build.  :smiley:

Offline salsheikh

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2011, 20:36 »
well impressed with the progress Dan, keep it up and keep us posted.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2011, 21:34 »
Lovely star, I would have an old jap car.

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2011, 22:33 »
great effort and top work will look the t#ts when done ,all the best will be watching this