Author Topic: Turbo Technics 8v conversion  (Read 26801 times)

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
  • Mk1 GTI Cabby, MK2 GTI 8v Turbo Technics
Re: Turbo Technics 8v conversion
« Reply #60 on: 19 August 2012, 20:56 »
Hi Thanks for the replys,

I'll try stealth again , did try ringing on Thursday and Friday but no one answered the phone?

Turbo technics, hugely unhelpful...... I have been promised info from them for 18 months and nothing has appeared. When I phoned they said they didn't do parts and hadn't for 15 years, I asked if there was anyone who could help, ie another company or any info they could provide and the guy said no they don't support or deal with the old conversions :angry:

Yup Metering head, my bad.. I've had the car at Ricky Gauld in Huntly and he's saying the Plate is moving prematurely under load as the Turbo comes in causing the problem.

A rebuild might be the only option then... any advice on who?

Offline spankier

• Not said much yet
« Reply #61 on: 19 August 2012, 22:43 »
I'd be trawling the ford forums to find someone if I were you, the RS turbo boys are the last big k-jet spenders! Might be a viable alternative metering head to try too.....

i did find this a while back    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=metering%20head%20rebuild&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.porsche928forums.com%2Fdownload%2Fmanuals%2FCISRebuild.pdf&ei=v1wxUOv9KMql0QWM5oDwDA&usg=AFQjCNH3_E6K45yVbwQZFzmGM45tqp8hBg&cad=rjt     but have only glanced at it as mine is my daily and until that changes i don't fancy the job, doesn't actually look that hard to be honest, just a meticulous strip and clean, Use solvents and soft rags NOT abrasives of any kind inside the metering head) replace o ring seals and rebuild as you found it, definitely d-i-y able. Find a dud one to practice on and have a go yourself.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2012, 10:04 »
Hi Thanks for the replys,

I'll try stealth again , did try ringing on Thursday and Friday but no one answered the phone?

Turbo technics, hugely unhelpful...... I have been promised info from them for 18 months and nothing has appeared. When I phoned they said they didn't do parts and hadn't for 15 years, I asked if there was anyone who could help, ie another company or any info they could provide and the guy said no they don't support or deal with the old conversions :angry:

Yup Metering head, my bad.. I've had the car at Ricky Gauld in Huntly and he's saying the Plate is moving prematurely under load as the Turbo comes in causing the problem.

A rebuild might be the only option then... any advice on who?

Here's the link I mentioned yesterday to the company that do remanufacturing of K-Jet items.

http://www.kmipetrolinjection.co.uk/Bosch%20K-Jetronic.htm

These guys claim that they can do K-jet overhauls, might be worth giving them a bell too and see what they can do?

http://www.ccengineservices.com/

And if you need a spare unit to keep your car going while another is being serviced or exchanged, there are a few on ebay at the moment, here's one
:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-AUDI-80-1-8-K-JET-FUEL-METERING-HEAD-049133353AA-/390453606795?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae8d9398b#ht_766wt_1037

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #63 on: 13 October 2014, 02:49 »
Old thread resurrection !!!

Right, so the Golf TT 8v engine had issues that I could not resolve and had to go on its holidays to CFM Engineering in Reading.

The fuelling issues were in the end solved with an electronic system but I have retained as much of the rest of the engine as was possible including the Original Turbo technics conversion parts (Unfortunately the  pistons and rods were past saving)

As I live up in Scotland I have not yet seen her yet but have been sent a couple of teasers I thought I would post up....... all going well I should get the keys back early next month along with a rather large bill.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 02:54 by Stupidog »

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #64 on: 13 October 2014, 02:50 »
« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 02:54 by Stupidog »

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
« Reply #65 on: 13 October 2014, 16:39 »
Where did you get that all metal shifter? Mine keeps melting

VW BUSH

« Reply #66 on: 16 October 2014, 18:16 »
Where did you get that all metal shifter? Mine keeps melting
TSR used to do them along with metal ball joint links

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #67 on: 17 October 2014, 21:10 »
The shifter is custom made by CFM Engineering in Reading, for exactly the same reason mine melted during the rolling road set-up.

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
« Reply #68 on: 17 October 2014, 22:31 »
How much was it if you don't mind me asking? I'm on my 3rd one. Im not far from reading, live near farnborough.

Offline Stupidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 19 October 2014, 01:23 »
I'm not sure TBH as it has been done as part of the whole restoration, welding, respray, zero miles bombproof engine spec etc job......

Probally phone or email Mark at CFM and ask him, as you say though worth getting as a cheaper melted one is worth nothing.