Author Topic: 1987 American MK2 Gti  (Read 24855 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: 1987 American MK2 Gti
« Reply #80 on: 27 August 2011, 20:30 »

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #81 on: 28 August 2011, 01:42 »
brilliant project keep it up  :smiley:

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #82 on: 21 September 2011, 13:59 »

nothing much really done, im having trouble sourcing a 4th centre cap for the wheels sou I sourced a set of small centres for now, until i do eventually find 1....

But
I came out to a shattered rear window Sunday morning, no sign of any stones on the ground or grass around the car, so im a little baffled as to what happened, i dont need this expense at the moment but hey ho

Got a glass sorted local to me, anyway this is a job I dont want to have to do again in a hurry, ive done it before with mini rear windows, taking them out to cut holes in the rear shelf for speakers so I knew the principles of ropeing in glass, but of course when I went to look for my roll of builders twine it was nowhere to be found, so i had the tedious job of using 2 flat blade screwdrivers all the way around the rubber, but it went in without too much bother in the end,
excuse the bad photos they were taken on my phone , it was bright when I started and dark when I finished...... i have to get some proper rubber double sided tape for the high brake light, which i'll do at a later stage but atleast the car is secure and dry again....

some people you meet in life leave footprints on your heart, others make you want to leave a footprint on their face!

Offline ramjet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #83 on: 21 September 2011, 15:25 »
Nice project mate.There one similar color and spec from the US LHD and in Red..... Being kept alive by its owner.

Nice one..... :drool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #84 on: 21 September 2011, 19:31 »
Bad luck with the glass! I hope some jelous runt didn't pop it!

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #85 on: 29 August 2012, 21:32 »
FEW LITTLE UPDATES

JANUARY 2012
Just a small update, these arrived from the U.S. of A today, the order was processed on friday the 6th Jan and arrived 6 days later, im happy with that, they are New Old Stock and I owe Neilc a big Thank you for forwarding me the info on them, i'm still gathering small bits and pieces for this (i need fairly soon,  rain tray, which maddad has for me, plastic trim for the door side of the driver seat, front bumper which im in negotiation for, windscreen seal which Glenn gave me the link for, thanks for that Glenn, and a few other small bits and pieces) so keep an eye here over the next few months as it will be coming together, and hopefully it will be out this summer, I had a couple of messages both here and Edition asking me would I sell it ? maybe after the summer when its complete but not for now !!!  :blink: ,

thanks for looking,

more to follow,

Simon

some people you meet in life leave footprints on your heart, others make you want to leave a footprint on their face!

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #86 on: 29 August 2012, 21:34 »
Another little breakthrough, I was given some information today which lead me to the original family owners of this, It turns out I am only the 3rd owner, with 2 brothers before me, it was sold in Georgia in 1987, went to Canada from there, spent a few years there and was then shipped to and registered in the UK, and eventually ended up over here being registered and driven up until summer 1996 when there was some sort of engine trouble, i think the belt broke, anyway it was given to a mechanic to repair but he went out of business or something like that, the original owner took it back and sent it off to a breakers yard in Bray back in 1998, Luckily the book was never sent off and the car is still registered and the last known tax is July 1996, Anyway he has agreed to look for whatever paperwork he may have for the car, and also has a load of old photos of it, i've to call him Monday as he wants to see it again after all these years.....

This makes it a little bit more special for me now to be able to find out the full history of the car.

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #87 on: 29 August 2012, 21:36 »
A little more,

The original owner came to see the car this evening, and to my surprise had the registration document with him (happy days), anyway, a couple of pics from March 1994 when it was in the uk for a while, (with the original front bumper  :(   )

more to follow

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #88 on: 29 August 2012, 21:38 »
Afew more old pics

Day it was bought NEW, no stripe, no tinted windows, no rear GTi in the window and different mud flaps.... Photo taken in Georgia....

Right hand rear mudflap broken in transit from Canada to England

GTi International magazine feature 1993

Registration History, America, Canada, England, and finally onto Irish Plates

Offline Si-Ireland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #89 on: 29 August 2012, 21:39 »
JULY 2012
Lost my BBS split rim virginity (sounds painful lol) this evening, I've been quietly looking for a set for a while now but any that came up were either overpriced or damaged etc, anyway with a significant birthday approaching my missus and kids bought me these as part of my present, that made Hubby/Daddy very happy......