Author Topic: Edition 35?  (Read 72153 times)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: Edition 35?
« Reply #100 on: 11 May 2011, 13:54 »
Its funny we all sort of feel the same way about this one.

I'm not sure what to do, wanted an R when we swapped our 3 year old edition 30, but couldn't justify it then, and can't really now to be honest at the current list price anyway.

So settled for a standard GTi which is great, but wanted to make sure it was paid off in full within 2 years. So what to do, swap for an Edition 35, or wait for a mk7 GTi..............

Dave
Lol... And that's exactly how VW want you to feel!!!

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #101 on: 11 May 2011, 14:03 »

I'm not sure what to do, wanted an R when we swapped our 3 year old edition 30, but couldn't justify it then, and can't really now to be honest at the current list price anyway.

So settled for a standard GTi which is great, but wanted to make sure it was paid off in full within 2 years. So what to do, swap for an Edition 35, or wait for a mk7 GTi..............

Dave

lol that's so true.... been paying for new car loans every 3 since I can remember now. Would have paid the mortgage off now if I owned an old mk3 banger :evil:
« Last Edit: 11 May 2011, 15:13 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #102 on: 11 May 2011, 15:13 »

Dave

lol that's so true.... been paying for new car loans every 3 since I can remember now. Would have paid the mortgage of now if I owned an old mk3 banger :evil:

You would still be sat in the same place for the last 20yrs though!

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #103 on: 11 May 2011, 15:15 »

Dave

lol that's so true.... been paying for new car loans every 3 since I can remember now. Would have paid the mortgage of now if I owned an old mk3 banger :evil:

Would have needed AA membership and spent a fortune in Halfords as well :evil:

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #104 on: 11 May 2011, 22:33 »
YAWN ........... ZZZZZZZZZ ......................... ZZZZZZZZZZ ..........ZZZZZZZZZZZ ....... :kiss:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #105 on: 12 May 2011, 06:55 »

Dave

Yes I'm a sucker!! :grin:
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #106 on: 12 May 2011, 07:01 »
Maybe even more of a sucker now! (if these don't show go to vw.de and configure your own)

« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 07:05 by HA54SYM` »
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 12 May 2011, 07:15 »

Well I jumped into my old Mk3 banger and headed off to London Town for a Rolling Road day...only 565 miles each way.
How many of you Mk6 heros would have taken that on in your Mk6 GTI?

I'll wager not too many  :wink:

Oh, and it returned 34.5 MPH, on a cam'd and tuned 16v...exactly the same as my Mk6 gives...whilst spinning at 4000RPM on it's c/r gearbox...and was perfectly civil for all 1100+ miles of the journey.
Where's the progress there?

Oh, and I managed to break the engine of the Mk3...yet still drove it home somewhere between 3 and 4 cylinders. It cost me 3 spark plugs and 9 liters of oil...but it made it.
Try that in a Mk6 with it's tendancy to throw engine check lights up and enter 'limp mode' at the drop of a hat!
I know which one could be driven home, broken, without the need for the AAs/RACs flatbed!
Something you can't do in a Mk6.

Sometimes progress isn't what people think.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #108 on: 12 May 2011, 08:18 »
I can't believe you just tried to imply that the HMS MK3 is better than a MK6.

LMAO!!!!!! :D

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #109 on: 12 May 2011, 08:55 »

Well I jumped into my old Mk3 banger and headed off to London Town for a Rolling Road day...only 565 miles each way.
How many of you Mk6 heros would have taken that on in your Mk6 GTI?

I'll wager not too many  :wink:

Oh, and it returned 34.5 MPH, on a cam'd and tuned 16v...exactly the same as my Mk6 gives...whilst spinning at 4000RPM on it's c/r gearbox...and was perfectly civil for all 1100+ miles of the journey.
Where's the progress there?

Oh, and I managed to break the engine of the Mk3...yet still drove it home somewhere between 3 and 4 cylinders. It cost me 3 spark plugs and 9 liters of oil...but it made it.
Try that in a Mk6 with it's tendancy to throw engine check lights up and enter 'limp mode' at the drop of a hat!
I know which one could be driven home, broken, without the need for the AAs/RACs flatbed!
Something you can't do in a Mk6.

Sometimes progress isn't what people think.

Fair point Ess_Three back in the day you could certainly work on an engine yourself and there were no complicated electronics. But its also fair to say the life expectancy of modern day engines is likely to be alot greater than an engine say 20 years ago if its well looked after.

Good on you for driving down to London in a Mk3 or Mk6 anway....... When I visit my relations in Glasgow I let the plane take the strain.

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto