Author Topic: Digifant engine?? what isit, (mk2 golf rebuild)  (Read 14094 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Digifant engine?? what isit, (mk2 golf rebuild)
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2011, 14:10 »
Darren use the search function type in cams, porting heads, performance etc!
Loads of usefull info to read! :wink:

Offline darrren

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2011, 14:29 »
ok will do :). I should hopefully have the engine and possibly gearbox by next weekend and i can start right away with it. Ill get a progress thread going aswell with it. Thanks for helping me out finding the correct engine.

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2011, 15:45 »
The engine number in the service book is kw82

lol... that's the power output  :smiley:

What will be wrong with the engine in the car you buy? Are you planning to get a duff one, or are you fully rebuilding this one before you get the car so it is ready to drop straight in?

If you want to get more power out of it, and are planning to do an engine swap anyway, it may be worth considering a 2.0 16v engine out of the MK3 which mostly plugs into the existing loom if the MK2 it's going in is later than 1990.

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline darrren

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2011, 16:54 »
fully rebuilding this one ready to drop it straight in. i could get the 2.0 16v but im clueless with wiring looms and electrics so wouldnt really want to go messing about with that. Im not after super fast car,just a nice clean car with a solid engine and a nice crisp sound. Im thinking of weber carbs aswell if these are still available and depending on how hard they are to set up. Just for curiosity the 2.0 16v bottom end conversion, is that from a mk3 gti?

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2011, 18:05 »
if you want a 2.0 litre 16v engine, use the whole thing from a mk3, and it is apparently a very straight forward conversion with no loom making needed (i think you just plug the new wiring into the existing fuse box).

Similarly simple is using a 2.0 litre 8v bottom end only from a mk3, with the other mk2 head and bits bolted on.

These volkswagen engines are generally very reliable for very high milage's, so you may want to consider getting the whole car first, cleaning it up and playing with it as you like, before spending money, slightly unnecessarily, on the engine. It would also give you the chance to consider one of the simple engine conversions once you have seen how a standard 8v drives. As doing it your way means you have committed yourself to the 8v engine by spending lots of money on it..... It's just an unusual way to go about it ( tho I can see the sense if you want to rebuild an engine without the rest of the car in the drive).

Offline darrren

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2011, 18:32 »
right ive had a search about th and no joy,so the question is, can weber carbs be fitted to the 1.8 8v digifant engine??ive found a local place that sells them brand new.

Offline theclash

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2011, 20:32 »
dont bother do as rob.043 says and drive the bloody thing before blowing unessesary money on the engine as for putting carbs on if plugging wiring in for a mk3 engine troubles you then setting carbs up will be beyond you   :laugh: no offence  :grin:

Offline darrren

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2011, 23:21 »
well im a qualified mechanic but electrics really gets on my nerves ive never really got my head around it. Anyway ive got the engine and gearbox and will start stripping it down to nothing next weekend and replacing every nut bolt and gasket with a new one. Ikk get a progress thread up as i go along with it, but i am considering the 2l bottom end.