Author Topic: Project colour code is COMPLETE!!  (Read 7812 times)

Offline hainesz

• Here all the time
  • MK4 GTi 1.8T 20v AGU
Re: Project colour code has begun.....
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2011, 16:56 »
you shouldnt have used the 80 grit paper to start, its a bit too course i would only use that if it had sh!t loads of layers of paint, you will need to get rid of all those scores in the plastic or they will show through the paint and look dreadfull...

just take your time, remember its not just how good you paint it, its all about the preparation
...Burn Rubber...Not Your Clutch...

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
  • MK4 GT TDI 130 - DERV POWER!!
Re: Project colour code has begun.....
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2011, 17:09 »
I used the course paper to start with to try and help remove some of the deeper scuffs and scratches that was on the valance as it was on a bumper I got from the scrappy. Now I have gone back over it today with some 240 it seems to have came up ok. I know there is still plenty of sanding to do tho. Once I get home from work 2moro I'm going to have another session with some 240 to try and smooth it even more.

I'm in no rush to get this done so will take my time to get it as smooth as I can before I prime and paint.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
Re: Project colour code continues.....
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2011, 15:57 »
I've been busy removing the filler primer and sanding the valance to get it smooth. It is currently on it's 3rd coat of primer so once that is all dry I'll get a few pics. My question is this: There are a few scratches that were quite deep and I couldn't sand out. Can I now add a couple of coats of filler primer to help with these scratches?

Also I fitted the sharan badge that I Fully colour coded yesterday. Here are a few pics. Let me know if you think it is better than the normal chrome look as I'm a little unsure on it.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2011, 16:10 »
Looks a good job, but not sure if it looks right  :undecided:

Too much silver?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2011, 16:16 »
I think it looks better in the flesh and once I've finished the rear valance I'll get some pics of the whole car which might help. I was originally going to go for the silver and black theme with the car. Even got the gloss black vinyl and everything but now I'm thinking of sticking with all silver. I'm hoping to attempt to smooth my rear bumper soon and eventually want do the front as well. I think if I'm going down the smooth route then all silver should look quite good.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 16:25 by mowlamb »

Offline hainesz

• Here all the time
  • MK4 GTi 1.8T 20v AGU
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2011, 16:38 »
I've been busy removing the filler primer and sanding the valance to get it smooth. It is currently on it's 3rd coat of primer so once that is all dry I'll get a few pics. My question is this: There are a few scratches that were quite deep and I couldn't sand out. Can I now add a couple of coats of filler primer to help with these scratches?

Also I fitted the sharan badge that I Fully colour coded yesterday. Here are a few pics. Let me know if you think it is better than the normal chrome look as I'm a little unsure on it.

i would use proper filler for bumpers rather than filler primer...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165625_productId_171468_langId_-1?cm_mmc=-_-Body+Repair%2FBody+Filler-_-David%27s+Bumper+Filler+100ml&source=shopping&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=litxta&istBid=t
...Burn Rubber...Not Your Clutch...

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2011, 16:42 »
Here's the pics of the valance so far:

The camera wouldn't pic the scratches up but they are just small ones on the right hand side of the valance. That filler looks pretty good tho.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2011, 17:45 »
Looks like a cracking job! Waiting to see end result!
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2011, 10:34 »
Hoping to gett time to put some paint on it today. All depends on when I finish work today.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2011, 11:47 »
Not sure on the badge  :undecided: