Author Topic: LOOK! I just bought myself for Christmas: Winter Wheels & Tyres.  (Read 32633 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: LOOK what I just bought for my winter tyres.
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2010, 22:55 »
Asker
Very nice indeed, look forward to some pics, enjoy. :kiss:

ASAP as it is THE LAW! :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2010, 22:56 »
Lovely wheels but £250 a tyre?!?!
I know you want the best for your car but it seems like so much overkill. You have said on numerous times that London gets very little snow and you never get over 5Mph going to work and that is on the dry days!  Can't help thinking you are spending a helluva lot for little use but your cash at the end of the day.
Car will look great though with those wheels.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2010, 23:12 »
Lovely wheels but £250 a tyre?!?!
I know you want the best for your car but it seems like so much overkill. You have said on numerous times that London gets very little snow and you never get over 5Mph going to work and that is on the dry days!  Can't help thinking you are spending a helluva lot for little use but your cash at the end of the day.
Car will look great though with those wheels.

I've always wanted those wheels and those tyres. So I will indulge. A fool and his money and all that ....... No I am pleased with my purchases. I'll put it aginst tax over a three year period, so it will cost me much, much less. :wink:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 20 December 2010, 06:33 »
Blimey, I disappear off to work for a few hours and the next thing I know you've bought some wheels and it's snowed all over me.
Nice one Asker, I nearly bought a set of these very rims myself recently until a set of BBSs dropped into my lap unexpectedly.
They'll look great against the red, lots of pics on the Yank forums with cars running these style wheels.  :drool:
Nice price for the tyres too  :shocked: but as you say, over a three year period they should pay for themselves, especially if you don't wear them out and sell the wheels and tyres on again in a few winters time when stocks of winter tyres are low again and someone is willing to reward you handsomely for a set in desperation on ebay!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2010, 12:49 »
Thanks for the thumbs up Exonian!

Ordered the tyres today form the French supplier pneus as they are cheaper than mytyres and have these particular tyres in stock which mytyres don't.
Spoke to the lovely Natalie, who was most helpful. :drool:

Additionally, Kwikfit no longer have stock of the Conti 830Ps. The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s, which I have bought, have not reached these shores or Germany for that matter!

Tyres should be at the tyre fitters Thursday. So it is all working out.

Sold the Bridgestones for £150 for the set. Hate them.

Can't wait to be safe and mobile. I sadly feel this weather is here to stay with us.

At least the Monza Shadows will be protected. At £450 a piece they are too valuable to be damaged in dangerous winter conditions. The additional expense of fixing them was not an option and I felt, in the long run and all things considered, I made the right decision for my particular situation.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Re: LOOK! I just bought myself for Christmas: Winter Wheels & Tyres.
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2010, 19:28 »
Nice one.

As I said before you should have done a bulk order and made a fortune :grin:
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2010, 19:39 »
Nice one.

Northway Tyres, whom I am using, are part of the Kwikfit Group though they keep this quiet for obvious reasons.
Unfortunately, they have run very dry so this business venture will have to wait until next year. Maybe we could pool resources?

Am quite excited by my purchase, but feel a bit sick at the overall cost which will be close to £1500 all in.  :embarassed: :shocked:

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. :rolleyes:

I think the Xenons will now have to wait and wait.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #27 on: 20 December 2010, 19:44 »
Nice one.

Northway Tyres, whom I am using, are part of the Kwikfit Group though they keep this quiet for obvious reasons.
Unfortunately, they have run very dry so this business venture will have to wait until next year. Maybe we could pool resources?

Am quite excited by my purchase, but feel a bit sick at the overall cost which will be close to £1500 all in.  :embarassed: :shocked:

:sick:

And I thought £600 was bad!!

Anyway, what price your safety and peace of mind?
Remember also the cost is spread over several winters.

Enjoy :smiley:

Xenons or winter tyres - no contest.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 20 December 2010, 19:54 »
And I thought £600 was bad!!
Anyway, what price your safety and peace of mind?
Remember also the cost is spread over several winters.
Enjoy :smiley:
Xenons or winter tyres - no contest.

Absolutely.
Over 3 years it will cost £500 per year, I'll put it down as expenses against tax, get 50% back, then also use the depreciation code, so it will be, nearly but not quite, free. I'll even make some money if I sell the wheels and tyres. :evil: :grin:
So all-in-all, a good investment.
They call this tax avoidance and not tax evasion:cool:

Red to the rescue! :wink:
« Last Edit: 20 December 2010, 20:01 by am1w »

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #29 on: 20 December 2010, 19:54 »
Nice one.

Oooch 1500 squid just before xmas........ but I'm sure there be worth it. The VMR's are lovely wheels and there be easy to sell on with the winter tyres in the future should you feel the need. So when will they be fitted on the car then?

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto